Thread: Rest in Peace Queen Elizabeth

Rest in Peace Queen Elizabeth

To our friends in the Commonwealth.....

Please know that many of us grieve with you. Though she was not my Sovereign, I and many others had deep respect for Her.

God save the Queen.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-08-2022 at 10:43 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Just heard the news too. What a legacy! My dad was named after her dad.
    Best Regards, Maurice

She projected a solid calm base of firm, continued hope. My thoughts and prayers to her family, friends and members of the Commonwealth.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I watched her Coronation at my Grandma’s house, “black and white” tv screen was almost circular. Watched all by myself, Grandma had a
    large 1890 Brownstone house ,and she rented out rooms, some of her children helped run the place almost everyday, so I watched alone.
    I was four years old. She waved at me.

Please see attached link which explains the process when the Queen dies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_London_Bridge

and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

I wonder if her body will travel in the same Land Rover tray bed truck her husbands did? She did work on and drive Jeeps during the war.
    Bill D.

Love or hate the Monarchy, she conveyed an unwavering sense of dignity.

She didn't stoop often to controversy or gossip.

There's something to be said for 70 years. She's a thread back to a completely different time and that is somehow comforting to me - despite how I might personally feel about Imperial pasts.

Blog Entries
    A great world figure indeed.

One story on the TV this morning sums up her respect for the everyday people:

Richard Griffin told how the monarch had been hiking near the grounds of her estate in Balmoral, Scotland, wearing her tweeds and a headscarf.
    She walked by a group of American tourists, but they failed to recognize her and asked if she lived nearby, to which she said she did.
    Yet when asked if she had met the Queen, the monarch playfully hit back: 'No, but he has', pointing to her protection officer.
    They then asked Her Majesty to take a photograph of them with the policeman, before they also took one with her.
    Griffin, who worked for the royals for over 30 years, retold the story to Sky News during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations across Britain in June.
    He said: 'Normally on these picnic sites you'll meet nobody. But there were two hikers coming towards us and the Queen would always stop and say hello.
    'And it was two Americans on a walking holiday. And it was clear from the moment we first stopped they hadn't recognized the Queen, which is fine.
    'The American gentleman was telling the Queen where he came from, where they were going to next and where they'd been to in Britain.
    'And I could see it coming and sure enough he said to Her Majesty, and where do you live?
    'And she said well I live in London but I've got a holiday home just the other side of the hills.
    'He said how often have you been coming here? Oh, she said, I've been coming up here ever since I was a little girl, so over 80 years.
    'He said well if you've been coming up here for 80 years you must have met the Queen.
    'As quick as a flash she said: 'Well I haven't, but Dickie here meets here regularly. The guy says to me, you've met the Queen? What's she like?
    'I said well she can be very cantankerous at times but she's got a lovely sense of humor.
    'The next thing I knew this guy comes around put his arm around my shoulder and before I see what was happening he gets his camera, gives it to the Queen and says can you take a picture?
    'Anyway we swapped places and I took a picture of them with the Queen, we never let on, and we waved goodbye and Her Majesty said to me ''I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he shows that to his friends in America.'

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A great world figure indeed.

One story on the TV this morning sums up her respect for the everyday people:

Richard Griffin told how the monarch had been hiking near the grounds of her estate in Balmoral, Scotland, wearing her tweeds and a headscarf.
    She walked by a group of American tourists, but they failed to recognize her and asked if she lived nearby, to which she said she did.
    Yet when asked if she had met the Queen, the monarch playfully hit back: 'No, but he has', pointing to her protection officer.
    They then asked Her Majesty to take a photograph of them with the policeman, before they also took one with her.
    Griffin, who worked for the royals for over 30 years, retold the story to Sky News during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations across Britain in June.
    He said: 'Normally on these picnic sites you'll meet nobody. But there were two hikers coming towards us and the Queen would always stop and say hello.
    'And it was two Americans on a walking holiday. And it was clear from the moment we first stopped they hadn't recognized the Queen, which is fine.
    'The American gentleman was telling the Queen where he came from, where they were going to next and where they'd been to in Britain.
    'And I could see it coming and sure enough he said to Her Majesty, and where do you live?
    'And she said well I live in London but I've got a holiday home just the other side of the hills.
    'He said how often have you been coming here? Oh, she said, I've been coming up here ever since I was a little girl, so over 80 years.
    'He said well if you've been coming up here for 80 years you must have met the Queen.
    'As quick as a flash she said: 'Well I haven't, but Dickie here meets here regularly. The guy says to me, you've met the Queen? What's she like?
    'I said well she can be very cantankerous at times but she's got a lovely sense of humor.
    'The next thing I knew this guy comes around put his arm around my shoulder and before I see what was happening he gets his camera, gives it to the Queen and says can you take a picture?
    'Anyway we swapped places and I took a picture of them with the Queen, we never let on, and we waved goodbye and Her Majesty said to me ''I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he shows that to his friends in America.'

jtk
    Today I saw the video of her bodyguard telling this story earlier this year to a couple British TV journalists.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-09-2022 at 11:41 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I wonder if her body will travel in the same Land Rover tray bed truck her husbands did? She did work on and drive Jeeps during the war.
    Bill D.
    I don’t think she will be in the Jeep. HE was in a Jeep cuz..he liked that stuff … he was a man. One who thought he should be King . The
    guys who work in the rules and precedents department are the bosses ,and had the duty to inform him that he would not be King .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I don’t think she will be in the Jeep. HE was in a Jeep cuz..he liked that stuff … he was a man. One who thought he should be King . The
    guys who work in the rules and precedents department are the bosses ,and had the duty to inform him that he would not be King .
    His grandfather was a king and was given the choice of stay king and be killed or abdicate and live.
    Bill D

The world is a worse place without her but I think Charles will be a worthy successor.

Blog Entries
    Found a video clip of Richard Griffin telling about the time The Queen met a couple of hiking Americans.

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/stat...humor-death%2F

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)