Thread: Gun cleaner for waterborne?

Gun cleaner for waterborne?

Does anybody have a recommendation for a cleaner for a spray gun encrusted with years worth of waterborne lacquer?

Try acetone first. Lacquer thinner second. Both in a well ventilated area, preferably outside. Soaking followed by scrubbing can help. Now if this is just external splatter...pick how far your battle needs to go.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Some paint stores will "tank" your gun for you.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Most waterborne lacquer is actually acryllic. Try soking the gun in water overnight.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Most waterborne lacquer is actually acryllic. Try soking the gun in water overnight.

Mike
    Water is not the solvent, however...it's just the carrier.
    --

Blog Entries
    Tanking your gun yourself is very satisfying. It's like curing toenail fungus. Finding the right container is a place to start. I made my own tank. I always start with lacquer thinner. I seldom spray waterborne (other than with the paint pump). For waterborne I think of denatured alcohol and cleaning right away.
    Best Regards, Maurice

water is a solvent.

Id consult the paint company who made what you used and they will tell you the best chemical to use. Even with lacquer reducers some are hotter than others. Past I could strip Imron and RM epoxy primer just by soaking in Goudey 788 lacquer reducer. Powerful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    water is a solvent.
    True, but that's why I used the phrase, "water is not the solvent"...in the context of this thread. Water will not dissolve 99+% of the waterborne finishes folks use. Stronger chemicals are typically required to get cured finishes off something like the gun and that varies with the properties of the specific finish, including if any additives for chemical resistance were added. (Example...Target's crosslinker)
    --

sorry didnt see the The

same story id ask the people who made the stuff. I bypass salesman many times and talk to chemists when I can over the years got lots of great info from them.

I'm not an expert, but I have read you need to make sure your particular gun doesn't have any soft parts ("o" rings, plastic, etc.) that strong solvents will damage before immersing the entire gun.

I use to clean my waterborne gun with acetone and while it does work, it never worked well. My finishing rep recommended a product in a spray can called Naked Gun (yes really) Spray Gun Cleaner, produced by Klean Strip. It works infinitely better than acetone, works faster, and doesn't smell nearly as bad. It also works for solvent based lacquers too.

I use a solution of ethanol and windex. I would try either of these first. Acetone is great for softening hardened latex and maybe acrylic layers, but I would be careful applying that to your rubber or plastic parts.

You should combine the chemical treatment with some mechanical abrasion of course - and of course be careful of brushes that might scratch.

As a last resort and only on the parts that are unusably contaminated, you can consider a paint stripper soak.

And as a last, last resort, if you know an old school dry cleaner, you can ask if he can get it out. I know one who still has access to the most effective solvents which have since been prohibited from commercial use. But that’s a grey area on many levels…