Thread: Leave a vacuum inverter system connected?

Leave a vacuum inverter system connected?

Hi All,

I apologize if this should be in the General Woodworking and Power Tools section rather than Turning, but I though it would be more familiar of a subject here. I think I know what I probably should do, but I wanted to get an opinion on it just the same...

A few months ago I installed a vacuum inverter system on my Laguna Revo--it's the all-in-one system that Laguna sells. For those not familiar with it, it's basically a 'black box' that mounts on the back of the headstock that houses the inverter and a vacuum gauge, then has vacuum hose to a revolving center that gets screwed on the back of the spindle. Below is a photo of it connected. Super easy system--no metal tubes or additional hoses. When screwing into the headstock, you're instructed to apply plumber's tape to the threads so the seal is tight. So one would think it's intended to be left installed. If left install though, you loose the ability to install the ram rod. Not an issue for me, because I normally don't use a jam chuck. But I was more concerned about getting dirt up into the inverter. As for how much I use it, not very often, more a seasonal thing. So I wanted to ask anyone else that had the same or similar system whether they leave it connected to the spindle, or remove it when done with a project?

Thanks for your input...John

Laguna_vacuum_inverter.jpg

I use taper mounted drives regularly so I disconnect my vacuum adapter. Do you use only threaded accessories?

If you leave it connected it would be a good idea to plug the inboard spindle opening to keep crud out of the system.

Not familiar with that system, but if you leave it connected and rarely use it, will it wear out the bearings on it or cause unnecessary wear on it ???
    Also as Kevin says it may get stuff in it that you do not want...

Never heard it called an inverter. I've seen it called a vacuum generator or a vacuum venturi, but not inverter. All it is is a piece of brass with a tapered hole in it. Blow air through and it creates a vacuum on the side port. Similar to a suction feed spray gun. Dirt is of no concern and will not cause damage.

I built my own system that mimics the Laguna for my 1836. I never leave my installed when not using. I used brass fittings and never have used plumbers tape. I've never had an issue with leaks.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

The vacuum adapters have either a sealed bearing or a separate vacuum seal. They will wear, degrade and eventually need to be replaced. Why wear out a vacuum adapter when not in use?

Thanks everyone for your input! My thinking was I should disconnect it, but wanted to be sure this was the right move. As several of you mentioned, I was concerned about the bearings on the revolving center wearing out prematurely since I use the lathe almost every day. Didn't think of installing a plug. That would be a good idea when I have connected and not using it.

Cordially...John