Thread: I think it needs a lid.

I think it needs a lid.

How about you?

Unknown-5.jpeg

Maple. 3 coats of rattle can satin lacquer.

It’s a nice piece the way it is. Putting “a lid on it “ will make it too tall for the small diameter base . As is the base ,and the rest of it are fine.
    just fine the way it is now.

I agree,
    The proportions you have now are pretty good. Adding a lid would throw it off,
    IMO. I would leave it as is

It looks good, if you did want a lid I would turn a concave lid that settles down inside with a fairly fine spindle for lifting.

I would inset the lid similarly to that which Russell suggested with the shape optional. Why not turn a lid and see whether or not you like it. No one says you have to use it! Or simply make another turning.
    Also, with a lid of some sort, I would eliminate the foot and let the container sit directly on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    …with a lid of some sort, I would eliminate the foot and let the container sit directly on the table.
    If the foot is removed leaving a rounded bottom I like the look of a form like that raised off the table a bit with three rounded feet.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    Why not turn a lid and see whether or not you like it. No one says you have to use it! Or simply make another turning.
    This makes me chuckle. Very often I'll make a piece -- a tall-ish bowl like this one or a hollow form -- and struggle to find a proper top for it. I'll make one, decide it isn't right, then make one or two more. The thing is, later I'll make an entire new piece to match those rejected tops.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."