Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding Work Table ideas ??

Question Folding Work Table ideas ??

I’m in need of a flat table for assembly, glue up, painting, etc. My quandary is that I need it to be folding or easy to disassemble. I’ve looked at the MFT but its a little small. I’ve looked at the Kreg ACS and its not too bad. I’ve also looked at the Dash-Board but it’s super pricey. Are there any others to check out?

The other idea would be to build something like a mini Paulk workbench style top and use two saw horses or Kreg folding work tables to hold it when needed. Any recommended designs or plans for something light enough to move and lean against the wall when not in use?

Thanks for any ideas.

Ken Hatch wrote many times about the Moravian Workbench, a quick search here should turn up many variations. It'd be sturdy enough, relatively cheap, and he demonstrated it knocked down and was very portable. I'm not sure it'd be deep enough as an assembly table and it certainly isn't much like a Festool MFT though.

Also here's a link: https://eclecticmechanicals.com/?s=moravian+ to many related articles Will Myers wrote, including plans for his original size.

Here is what i use in my tiny shop when I need an extra flat work table. I use it for the things you list. It can be opened with one hand and rotated onto its legs in seconds.

Bora Centipede and shop make torsion box work surface of the size you prefer...the base folds to "next to nothing" so you just need to be able to lean the top somewhere for storage when not in use. You can also do the same with knock down "x" supports and provide yourself with multiple work heights by having alternative sizes to use for the task at hand.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 4x8 assembly table in my basement shop, but when I want to work in the garage to break down sheet goods or spray finish or whatever, I have 4 of the stanley plastic sawhorses. They have a groove that grips 2x material, so I lay 3 8' 2x4s on them and throw on a sheet of 1" rigid foam. You can get by with 2 sawhorses, but then the top is tippy. With 4 and three 2x4s it is rock solid. The sawhorses weigh nothing and fold up to occupy little space; ditto the foam. The sawhorses come in handy for lots of other stuff, and 2x4s are always good to have around.

[eta:] I also have the table that Robert linked to and that thing gets used on every project I do around the house and shop, even if just a place to pile tools. I love that thing.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have a half dozen 60" round tables, they store well and I just roll them out when I need one, ...No awkward lifting

I dont remember them being this pricy though???....https://www.homedepot.com/p/59-75-in...R-HD/308685789

Not for assembly, but I use the white folding tables all the time to keep from bending over. I used one yesterday for recovering refrigerant out of a heat pump, and had nothing on the ground. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-6-F...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

As for the plastic folding sawhorses, I have the Stanley ones, but also some cheaper Lowes Blue Hawk ones, and I actually like the cheaper ones better. They're good for using up in the air on scaffolding because they're easy to get up there, but strong enough to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-07-2022 at 8:42 PM.

Thanks guys. I think i figured out a way to make one of my existing tables work with a floor shuffle I started tonight. However, I’ll still probably be looking into the centipede and various sawhorse ideas for extra supports when this 54x25 table top isn’t large enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I have a 4x8 assembly table in my basement shop, but when I want to work in the garage to break down sheet goods or spray finish or whatever, I have 4 of the stanley plastic sawhorses. They have a groove that grips 2x material, so I lay 3 8' 2x4s on them and throw on a sheet of 1" rigid foam. You can get by with 2 sawhorses, but then the top is tippy. With 4 and three 2x4s it is rock solid. The sawhorses weigh nothing and fold up to occupy little space; ditto the foam. The sawhorses come in handy for lots of other stuff, and 2x4s are always good to have around.

[eta:] I also have the table that Robert linked to and that thing gets used on every project I do around the house and shop, even if just a place to pile tools. I love that thing.
    I use plastic saw horse and plywood tables for every project too. The size of the plywood varies with the project. I like the four-horse, three 2x4 configuration for a lot of assemblies. I no longer cut plywood on my knees on the floor with squares of orange foam insulation underneath. Waist high is so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I use plastic saw horse and plywood tables for every project too. The size of the plywood varies with the project. I like the four-horse, three 2x4 configuration for a lot of assemblies. I no longer cut plywood on my knees on the floor with squares of orange foam insulation underneath. Waist high is so much easier.
    Plus you don't have to get the plywood down to the floor and up from the floor afterwards. And the horses are a good height for just sliding sheet goods out of the truck onto the supports.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Not for assembly, but I use the white folding tables all the time to keep from bending over. I used one yesterday for recovering refrigerant out of a heat pump, and had nothing on the ground. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-6-F...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

As for the plastic folding sawhorses, I have the Stanley ones, but also some cheaper Lowes Blue Hawk ones, and I actually like the cheaper ones better. They're good for using up in the air on scaffolding because they're easy to get up there, but strong enough to use.

However....too many tables and things can get out of control

F16E4E1F-CDC9-4585-B095-A3F7E97580E9_1_201_a.jpg 2668629B-B542-493E-8527-30B095809376_1_201_a.jpg

Blog Entries
    One of my benches is also a ping pong table. It is two 60 X 54 X 3/4 particle board slabs and wooden sawhorses. It is typically folded in half. Opening it up and moving it around is becoming a challenge.
    I am intrigued by the "Moravian Workbench" The Moravians have been workers on the go for a long time.
    Slab doors and horses or trestles are handy. Mom had a wallpaper bench she could easily setup and transport in a tiny hatchback car. It was two doors and some clever hardware. My brothers took over her wallpapering. They both made heavy duty pasting tables similar to the image. Theirs fold longwise and are strong enough to stand on.

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 6.44.29 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 09-08-2022 at 7:57 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Thanks guys. I think i figured out a way to make one of my existing tables work with a floor shuffle I started tonight. However, I’ll still probably be looking into the centipede and various sawhorse ideas for extra supports when this 54x25 table top isn’t large enough.
    I use centipedes and they work well for me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

While not folding, I built two 2x8 Ron Paulk torsion boxes for assemble. I set them up on saw horses. I am able to stand up the boxes in the shop corner when not in use. Also works well for breaking down plywood with the track saw.
    Last edited by Bob Falk; 09-08-2022 at 9:32 AM.

I have 4 Stanley adjustable height saw horses. I like the fact that I can have as low as 30” and as high as 36”, depending what I’m working on. I use 2” rigid foam for tracksaw use, but mostly I throw a sheet of ply for a secondary bench. I do a lot of work on my driveway, so it needs to store and not be a pain to set up.