Thread: It's been asked before, but can't find a good answer

It's been asked before, but can't find a good answer

Hi folks,

I am confused about abrasive pads (specifically Scotchbrite). I am wondering about grit approximations to sandpaper, and also the two apparently different kinds of scotchbrite pad colors and "lines".

There seem to be the main ones that are used in larger sizes (approx 5"x8"?): white, maroon, grey.
    But then there are also some you and get that are smaller sized 2"X4" and come in both colors and coarseness indicator: Coarse (green), medium 2 (also green), fine (0) grey, extra fine grey (000), extra extra fine (0000) white.

I may not have the above quite right. So my questions are: why are the two different lines? And what are the grits and colors for all of these pads, in each of the two lines.

Thanks for your help!

-dan

I think some are made specifically for autobody work, and others for more general purposes. I like the autobody ones that come in rolls in boxes with perforations for tearing off one pad at the time. They're a lot less scratchy than the general purpose ones, and are designed for use between different kinds of coats of finish. They have different types of abrasives in some of them.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/c/abra.../scotch-brite/

Thanks Tom. I was thinking it’s a difference between automative and “craft” too. I was able to find this:

7445 - White pad, called Light Duty Cleansing - (1000) 1200-1500 grit
    7448 - Light Grey, called Ultra Fine Hand - (600-800) 800 grit.
    6448 - Green (?), called Light Duty Hand Pad - (600) 600 grit
    7447 - Maroon pad, called General Purpose Hand - (320-400) 320 grit
    6444 - Brown pad, called Extra Duty Hand - (280-320) 240 grit
    7446 - Dark Grey pad, called Blending Pad (180-220) 150 grit
    7440 - Tan pad, called Heavy Duty Hand Pad - (120-150) 60(?)
    Common Green Scotch Brite Pad is 600 grit

So the above is helpful but it covers the larger “hand pads” but doesn’t cover the grit equivalents for the the smaller pads that are labeled more like steel wool with the 3 coarse , 2 medium, 0 fine, 00 very fine, 000 extra fine, 0000 super fine. These go green, green, grey, grey, grey, white. There are some color gradations in the greys I think.

Anyone know the grit equivalents for these? Thanks

I use the light grey and the maroon and find both very useful. I got a box of each in the 5 x 8 size from Amazon and should be set for a good long time. I especially like the fact that they leave a very uniform scratch pattern and work well both with and against the grain. I work with QSWO quite often and find they are a great last step prior to starting the finishing stages. They leave a silky/satiny surface that is very uniform and takes dye/stain/oil very well.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.