Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Drill press and table recommendations

31C2F54A-0906-4912-8F45-584D577FC30F.jpg

Up and running.

Getting the headstock onto the post alone was difficult. I used a block and tackle and relearned a lot of pulley math.

My shop made mobile base makes the press a tad tall. But it’s fine.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 10-02-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Looks great! I think you're going to enjoy that DP, Prashun. It's certainly what I would buy if I were going to get a new one for sure.

I guess your big, strong son didn't volunteer to help with the lifting? Probably off doing important teen things. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Prashun, unless you are 6 foot +, it will be too high. I am 5’ 10” and needed to drop it lower.

This generic steel mobile base lowers the drill press base to within 1/2” off the floor. It is also more stable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Thx. I will leave it as is. Before I made mine, I read your previous thread suggesting that the base made yours initially too tall. I too am 5'10" and I carefully considered making my base shorter.

However, it's fine. I can operate it just fine. I like the workpiece closer to my eyes without having to stoop.

It is plenty stable. My casters double lock and I've used these kinds of wheels on other equipment to my satisfaction.

If it's a problem, I'll convert to lower profile steel channel. Thx.

Jim,

It was too heavy for even my son and I to lift above shoulder height. It's an awkward shape, improperly distributed, and the hole has to line up perfectly with the post to slide on. The solution was a block and tackle. Even with the 3 pulleys in the included B&T, the load was still a little heavy for my puny arms, so I added 2 more.

I am sure you guys are way more experienced in this, but what I realized late is that the auxiliary pulley was installed to far from the B&T (Don't ask why I mounted them wide like a noob), which meant as the height was increased, the angle created by the headstock, and the two pulleys increased. Long story short, that meant the pulleys became less efficient as I got higher and I had to pull harder to raise it the same incremental distance. Regardless, it still worked surprisingly well.

164673BB-682E-460B-AF1A-CDCCBF32BD40.jpg
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 10-02-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Enjoy that drill press!
    Used one last week for the first time
    Took a while to figure out how to turn it on and turn the speed down to less than 200, quit at 280?? might be all the slower it goes
    Just needed a few seconds with a slow turning small bit to extract a broken bolt.
    Nice smooth operation, definitely need to read the book before doing much with it.
    Ron

It would be nice if they designed lifting points on the drill press head. It is smooth and rounded a d heavy which makes it difficult to lift.

In fact, on the top of the head there is a rubber grommet that reveals a threaded hole. It’s probably for attaching an eye bolt so the machine to prevent tipping. I used that as a lifting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    In fact, on the top of the head there is a rubber grommet that reveals a threaded hole. It’s probably for attaching an eye bolt so the machine to prevent tipping. I used that as a lifting point.
    Hmm, I think Nova added something new since I bought mine in November, 2019. I think if I described how I got the head onto the column you all would throw me off the Creek.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher