Thread: Secondary Woodworker II question:

Cool Secondary Woodworker II question:

Seems that in the last couple of days, TS blades have become a premium topic, so I'll jump in with my own question. OK, it appears that there's little disputing that the WW II are the blade to get. (Currently, "Librawood" holds the best pricing.) My question is: the 30 or 40 tooth blade? The majority of my cutting 5/4 or less and I really like the idea of having the cuts ready for glue-ups right off the saw. That said, I'm guessing the 40 tooth blade. I'm currently using Systematic combo blades, which in general, I'm pretty happy with, but am looking towards a replacement in the near future. Whatdya' guys think? The 30 or 40?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,

I use a 40 tooth for up to 4/4 lumber and a 30 tooth for anything thicker. I rarely have to head off for the jointer after a rip cut and when I do it is definitely operator error at fault, not the blade.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    My question is: the 30 or 40 tooth blade? The majority of my cutting 5/4 or less and I really like the idea of having the cuts ready for glue-ups right off the saw.
    The WW-II 40t is probably your best choice, given your primary cutting will be thinner stock. (It does rip thicker just fine, but you need to feed very slowly to allow the gullets to clear out) Interestingly enough, several folks I know say that the 30t cuts just as well and I'm really surprised at how cleanly the new WW-II 20t "serious ripping" blade I own cuts. I actually ripped a sheet of 3/4" underlayment today with it as I just didn't feel like changing the blade after ripping some 2x stock for furring material. The plywood was splinter-free! Not bad for a very sharp 20t ripping blade...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 40 and it works wonderful. I resawed some soft red maple the other night (2" resaw - one pass) with a bunch of fellow woodworkers over and they were AMAZED at how smooth it came off the saw.

Todd.

just to confuse you a little more john, i use the 30t blade for everthing and i've had 0 problems. my thinking at the time i purchased was if i needed the 30t for thick stock i had it and i could sand out any markes left on thinner stock. i've yet to use any sandpaper on the edges i've ripped. durn good blade.
    cya
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Depends

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Whatdya' guys think? The 30 or 40?
    John,

I am sure everyone knows by now what a huge Forrest fan I am. I have WWII/40, WWII/30, WWI, and a Chopmaster. The WWII/30 does a slightly better job ripping, especially with thicker material. And please note I said "slightly". I very rarely use my WWII/30 and only then if I am doing lots of ripping of thick material.

Using a TS, Miter Saw or a RAS without a Forrest blade is like eating eggs without salt and pepper ugh !!
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-20-2003 at 11:24 PM.

Cool Thanks guys!

Well, at least for now, I certainly can't afford more than one of these bad boys. Seems to me that the 30 should fill the void for me quite nicely. I note that my Systematic blades do indeed have a bit harder time with thicker stock and rightfully so, as they are 50 tooth combo's. I've got a fresh one from the sharpener, so I think maybe I'll wander into Woodcraft this Wed. (10% off day) and pick up a WW II, 30. I'll probably end up keeping that on the saw most of the time, unless I have a lot of small stock or crosscutting to do, in which case the 50 tooth may do a smidgen better. Like I said, I'm not disappointed with the Systematic, just looking for a bit better results and time savings. Appreciate all the feedback, gentlemen!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Mike Schwing Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The WW-II 40t is probably your best choice, given your primary cutting will be thinner stock. (It does rip thicker just fine, but you need to feed very slowly to allow the gullets to clear out) Interestingly enough, several folks I know say that the 30t cuts just as well and I'm really surprised at how cleanly the new WW-II 20t "serious ripping" blade I own cuts. I actually ripped a sheet of 3/4" underlayment today with it as I just didn't feel like changing the blade after ripping some 2x stock for furring material. The plywood was splinter-free! Not bad for a very sharp 20t ripping blade...
    Hey Jim, any idea when you'll be testing that 20t puppy out? I've used the 40t WWII for a season now for ripping thick hardwoods - 8/4 hard maple and walnut and while its worked fine, I'd be far happier with a blade that would do the job at a faster feed rate.

Cutting board season will be upon me shortly and those dudes require some serious glue line ripping.

I'd be very interested in a feed rate comparison between that and a 40t on a slice of hard maple.......please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schwing
    Hey Jim, any idea when you'll be testing that 20t puppy out? I've used the 40t WWII for a season now for ripping thick hardwoods - 8/4 hard maple and walnut and while its worked fine, I'd be far happier with a blade that would do the job at a faster feed rate.

Cutting board season will be upon me shortly and those dudes require some serious glue line ripping.

I'd be very interested in a feed rate comparison between that and a 40t on a slice of hard maple.......please.
    Welcome back from paradise, Mike! The pics are great...

I've been using the 20t Forrest ripping blade for awhile now off and on and it's a trooper. I have no doubt it will cut through anything like butter for I can fit on the saw. Forrest warns that the edges may not be quite as clean as the 30t and 40t, but I have to tell you, the rips I made yesterday morning on some crappy 2x4s were smooth as...well...the skin on some of those bathing beauties you "didin't notice" on your trip!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...