Thread: Help to build an entertainment center

Help to build an entertainment center

Hi All,

My parents have been looking for someone to build them an entertainment center in their basement but have been getting really high quotes due to the high demand out there. I'm thinking of helping them by building it but wanted to get some thoughts from this group first as I've never built anything bigger than a kids play cube and a kitchen helper for my daughter.

I'm thinking of buying these plans (https://rogueengineer.gumroad.com/l/kDtAQ) and adapting to the size my parents need (they have a low ceiling so it would only be 7 feet and 7 inches high). I'm planning on using 3/4 white melamine from home depot for the build.

My questions are if this is the correct process to tackle the build:

1) Build the bottom cabinets first
    2) build bookshelves to stand on either end
    3) build a cabinet to fit between the two bookshelves at the top

I'm assuming I connect each section above to the studs in the wall. Any rule of thumb I should use?

Is there anything I need to know at a high level before I get started on this? I still have to talk to my parents about what design they want and if they'll let me build it but their thought process is that for the cost of materials we give it a shot and if it doesn't work then they can bring in a professional.

Thanks!

Luis

Blog Entries
    I would invest the $5 to get a set of the plans. Then I would look at the materials list and price out the majority of it so you can get a good idea of what your cost will be. Are you going to need any new tools or cutters? Who is paying for them?

Check out the basement before your start. Is the floor level enough? Are the walls plumb and perpendicular to each other where the piece will be located? How high is the ceiling? Is there carpet on the floor? Tack strips and carpet make a poor foundation. Are there drains, wiring, air vents that will be in the way?

That is a fairly large project. I believe I would build the sections in the order you have listed. The counter top may be difficult to make @ 15 feet in length. Maybe the plans have it in two pieces. It is going to take some time to make all the sections. Is your shop large enough?

Are you doing the assembly in their house or your shop? How do you plan to transport the finished pieces? Can you bring the pieces into the basement already assembled?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Particularly for budget (white melamine) cabinets, you can generally buy complete factory-built cabinets for less than you can buy the materials to build the same thing.

Check out places like IKEA. You might find that they have cabinets which fit under your ceiling. Or you may be able to inexpensively modify what they offer to meet your height limit.

Blog Entries
    If this is part of a quest for creativity you should go for it. That being said melamine is a difficult material. It is hard to get a good clean cut on both surfaces. Trying to compete with Ikea is virtually impossible. Creating something yourself can be priceless. Your thoughts about the process seem correct to me. You have even thought about attaching the unit to the wall (unlike Ikea and the demise of someone's child)
    Best Regards, Maurice

figure out the electrical supply and connections before you start installing.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Thanks all for the replies! I found an ikea unit that's 2 inches too tall so I'll help my parents trim it down to the height needed. Thank you all for your input!

Luis