Thread: The finished vase that was repaired

The finished vase that was repaired

This was my first attempt at doing a tapered stave project. Actually my third if you count the two practice cylinders I glued up from $1 a foot poplar I have had for years. The first attempt was a disaster. The second attempt came out pretty good and with minor adjustments I was able to make the mahogany one. The practice wood was sold to me as poplar but I think it was maybe cottonwood or less. A sharp WW2 blade could not produce a smooth cut on the practice wood.

First picture shows the results of the first attempt along with the waste from cutting the mahogany. Second picture is the second pretty good attempt held together with blue tape only. I made these longer than necessary thinking I needed the length for finger safety while cutting. Gluing up the tapered staves required a bit of creativity in clamping. I did the clamping in two halves. My angles were still off a very tiny bit as I had to slightly flatten each half to get a zero daylight fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That’s a fine use of mahogany. The practice paid off, she’s a beaut!!
    earl

What blade did you use if the WW2 didn't give good results? And what did you do differently to get a good glue up on the Mahogany?

The WW2 cut the mahogany perfectly. If the sawed edges of the mahogany were exposed they would not have needed sanding. It was the cheap practice wood that was the problem. I have tossed all the practice pieces or I would show you a picture of what I was getting when ripping the practice wood.