Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended Boat Building Sites

Blog Entries
    Some purists do not consider strippers to be real boat building. I do not begrudge strip built because the book Canoe Craft was so very helpful. I read a lot of traditional boat building books. I did not get the big picture of how to get from a table of offsets to making and setting up station molds until I read Canoe Craft. I did chose lapstrake for the Rangeley. I have an Adirondack Guide Boat on the drawing board. Kenneth Durant played a role in popularizing strip planking when he documented a shortcut for making Adirondack Guide Boats.

If anyone would like full size tracings of the stations for the Rangeley Boat (as taken off by John Gardner). I can trace mine and send them in rolled in a tube for a small fee.

Maurice Mcmurry's Album: Resources For Handy People
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-24-2023 at 10:02 AM. Reason: boat building books
    Best Regards, Maurice

It’s funny — today’s episode of Arabella features the guy doing the electronics bemoaning the fact that there’s a hot shower aboard. So I’ll give you that, Holmes! (But the guy also said he doesn’t take a lot of showers at all.)

Quote Originally Posted by John LoDico View Post
    It’s funny — today’s episode of Arabella features the guy doing the electronics bemoaning the fact that there’s a hot shower aboard. So I’ll give you that, Holmes! (But the guy also said he doesn’t take a lot of showers at all.)
    I can't watch it until later tonight but am looking forward to it. A shower is the only justification for pressure water in a boat that size and just adds too much to the water and power budget and maintenance. In the tropics you can just bath in the ocean with Joy dish washing liquid as soap/shampoo. Also, the fridge and water maker are at their least efficient in the tropics. A hot shower would be nice up north though. I used to bathe in the ocean in Maine when I was a few years younger. I don't begrudge people a fridge. We sailed for over a year without a fridge and it limits food choices. When we hauled out in Trinidad a fridge was at the top of the refit list. I didn't know Ensler built carvel planked boats. I started watching an episode because they mentioned him on Arabella. He was ripping narrow lamination strips for the stem on a table saw without a guard/splitter or even a zero clearance insert and it was clear that he had a bandsaw in the shop. Then he screwed blocks into his nice bench to bend the lamination instead of making a mold. Then he glued the lamination with titebond instead of epoxy. Then I lost interest. Maybe I'm just jaded but there are a lot of YouTube channels that are basically infomercials or people trying to make a buck from views. I saw on a Wood Whisperer episode that he doesn't even make a living as a commercial woodworker anymore but rather as a "content creator." Anyway, my apologies to Ensler for being snarky.