Thread: Getting to the trunnion?

Getting to the trunnion?

Have a 70's model Craftsman table saw. The trunnion that elevates and lowers the blade assembly is becoming more and more difficult to use. Tried cleaning and lubing from the back side with no luck. It appears that the tabletop is held in place by 4 bolts from the blade assembly into the top. So if I remove them, the top lifts off and I can easily clean and lube the trunnion.

However, the alternative is that the bolts hold up the blade assembly and something else holds the top firmly to the cabinet.

Before I start wrenching away, does anyone know for sure how the top comes off? Thanks in advance.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

I'm replying without looking at my own '70's Craftman, so be warned! It's been some time since I needed to do this. But I believe the top bolts to the chassis and the whole trunnion assembly then bolts to the cast iron top. I aligned my blade years ago and if I recall I loosened the trunnion bolts and tapped the blade into alignment. But I had also flipped the saw upside down and cleaned the heck out of everything prior to that. But then again Sears had many different suppliers over the years and YRMV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald G. Burns View Post
    I'm replying without looking at my own '70's Craftman, so be warned! It's been some time since I needed to do this. But I believe the top bolts to the chassis and the whole trunnion assembly then bolts to the cast iron top. I aligned my blade years ago and if I recall I loosened the trunnion bolts and tapped the blade into alignment. But I had also flipped the saw upside down and cleaned the heck out of everything prior to that. But then again Sears had many different suppliers over the years and YRMV
    Don is correct. My Craftsman saw is built the same way with the whole trunnion and motor hanging off the under side of the table. Before I enclosed the bottom of the "cabinet" I could reach up from the bottom to lube the shaft. The last time I lubricated mine I used some paste wax. There is a thrust plate at the front of the saw that needs lubricated as well as the shaft.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Don is correct. My Craftsman saw is built the same way with the whole trunnion and motor hanging off the under side of the table. Before I enclosed the bottom of the "cabinet" I could reach up from the bottom to lube the shaft. The last time I lubricated mine I used some paste wax. There is a thrust plate at the front of the saw that needs lubricated as well as the shaft.

And we have not one but TWO winners here! Now that Lee has pointed it out, I realize I can remove the enclosure on the bottom of the cabinet to reach the trunnion! And Don pointed out that some projects work better when they're done upside down! Thanks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME