Thread: oil over sanded poly coated oak?

oil over sanded poly coated oak?

I made a rather large knife holder for the bride some years ago, works great. I put on a coat of two of polyurethane and it looked fine for some years. Then it started not looking so good, maybe water from wet hands or whatever. So today I have been sanding it thinking I will go for oil this time, which is what I should have done initially. But after sanding a lot, I think there is still lots of poly down in the oak pores. I think putting oil on at this time will make a mess. I'm inclined to just give it another coat of poly as the last one lasted at least 10 years before looking bad. What you experts think? (And I'm 75, so not to many coats left to do.......... ha ha) Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

You need to get down to bare wood if you want to switch to oil, so I think you answered your question.

John

I'd give it a light, scuff sanding, and spray a fresh coat of poly on it. Oil isn't going to help you.

Blog Entries
    Red Oak or White Oak? Red Oak has pores and really isn't suitable for a cutting board. White Oak is okay. Many years ago I made a redwood cutting board for my mother. One side and the edges were finished with brush on lacquer. The remaining side was unfinished. When cutting she used the unfinished side, which could be wiped and rinsed clean. The finished side was displayed when she had it leaning up against the kitchen wall when not in use. The plan worked well until a guest used the wrong side for cutting.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I finally thought better of it and just gave it another coat of poly (and its red oak). Looks great, knives back in it, brides happy and its good for another 10 years! Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    . The plan worked well until a guest used the wrong side for cutting.
    Long time ago guests were not allowed to do anything but eat and drink. When they started to demand to be lowered to “servant class “
    a LOT of stuff started to get broken. FIRE them and make friends with some REAL servants. They don’t drink while handling others
    heirlooms.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-07-2022 at 10:08 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging