Thread: Bookcase finish ideas?

Bookcase finish ideas?

I'm building some assorted bookcases (some out of pine, some out of maple-veneered plywood with a maple face frame), and I'm undecided on a finish. My preference is for something that can be applied by hand (I don't have a sprayer), relatively non-toxic during application, and low-VOC once finished. I've been considering a linseed oil finish (I have some of the Tried & True products on hand), shellac, or a soap finish (à la Christopher Schwarz). Does anyone have a preferred bookcase finish?

For a bookcase you might use Osmo Polyx. It goes on very easily, and looks good.

(It isn’t super resistant to water, but that isn’t an issue for a bookcase.)

I like shellac myself.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I like shellac myself.
    Agree with Frederick, and there is a good practical reason for shellac. IF the shellac is mixed fresh from shellac flakes , and new denatured
    alcohol ( make sure the top is not loose, as alcohol draws in moisture) , you can be sure than when you pull out a book ,that has been patiently waiting for your attention , you won’t find the book stuck to the shelf !

My vote is for Osmo PolyOx or Rubio Monocoat. Both are easy to apply and, most importantly, will not chip or scratch because they are not a film finish. Further, any scratches to the wood during use are easily addressed by just wiping more finish into those scratches. No film finish is as easy to repair. Tried and True is similar to Osmo or Rubio but not nearly as durable, though perhaps OK for your application.

Rubio Monocoat is 0 VOC. Zero. It is very durable to chemicals and abrasion.

I'm building a set of vinyl album cabinets at the moment. The frames are finished with a traditional stain and film finish. The walnut shelves are being finished with Osmo PolyOx,.

John

I'm going to put a coat of shellac on a small maple case and see how it looks. I do like shellac. John, how do you find the Osmo is for drying? I've seen reports of some drying issues (although with oil finishes, I'm always suspicious that drying problems are from overapplication).

I have been using osmo polyox recently. It will dry well, but you do have to wipe it off.

Shellac is a little tricky to apply on a case good with surfaces in different planes that meet in corners. Are you spraying? If you are spraying considering targets line of coatings. I am partial to em8000cv. I have found it to be extremely durable and easy to apply .

+ 1 for Rubio Monocoat. I call it Rubio Duocoat, since I've been putting two coats of the product on my projects. Two coats produce more of a satin look. One coat gave the project a matte look.