Thread: Times I want a regular workbench

Times I want a regular workbench

The longer I work on my short Roman workbench, the more I think I can adjust and do all my work on it. But then there’s days, like today, I wish I had a regular height workbench. Couldn’t adjust my body to get a straight edge on a very short edge. Now I was fatigued and there was a long board in the way of part of the area I should have been in. Edges are the hardest thing for me but I’ve been slowly figuring it out.

Not really looking for advice, though I’d take it, and more just venting after failing a simple task.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    The longer I work on my short Roman workbench, ...
    Props! It's hardcore to completely switch. (Even Christopher Schwarz has 7-8 regular benches in his bench room and only uses the Roman one when it's more convenient.) Sorry it doesn't always suit though.

Didn’t really switch as this is my first ‘real’ bench. I had such a kludge before based on a commercial garage bench (gladiator garage works). Went with a Roman because I’m often in a wheelchair. Now I’m wondering (again) if I should also have a standup bench to supplement the low one.

Blog Entries
    Now I’m wondering (again) if I should also have a standup bench to supplement the low one.
    Would it be possible to make another short bench and then stack the two to have a tall bench?

Making it to be stable would be the tricky part.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Would it be possible to make another short bench and then stack the two to have a tall bench?

Making it to be stable would be the tricky part.

jtk
    Nit sure about the stability. Also, lifting would be super hard.

Is "short" length or height? I let my Moravian height be dictated by the height of my Jobsite Sawstop. It than wouldn't be in the way of a cut and is an outfeed table in a very small shop. It by luck is a comfortable working height. Sometimes the planets align.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    Is "short" length or height? I let my Moravian height be dictated by the height of my Jobsite Sawstop. It than wouldn't be in the way of a cut and is an outfeed table in a very small shop. It by luck is a comfortable working height. Sometimes the planets align.
    It’s a short height (basically knee height) Roman bench.

Might be time to build a more 'normal' sized bench, and keep the low/Roman one for a saw bench and/or working outside. I've got a 'full' sized bench, will probably build another one (or three) just because, but I've been toying with the idea of a low bench for the above reasons.

Another whole direction may be what you need. I'm thinking you would get great use from an adjustable height bench based on a powered scissor lift.

You can put a low staked bench on a pair of regular A- frame saw horses, legs on the outer ends. If necessary, tie, clamp, or ratchet strap one of the bench legs to one of the saw horses.