Thread: Anyone need some gravel?

Blog Entries

Anyone need some gravel?

I finally finished the project I was working on despite the band saw tire blow out and the sander bearing going bad. This truck was adapted from a tractor trailer truck from "The Great All American Wooden Toy Book". I redrew most of it in cad to get the proportions better and to design the bed and hinge. If I make more I will alter the exhaust stack location so they clear the dump body. This toy is intended to be played with and is not to scale. It is all made of maple with just a sanded finish. The wheels were purchased. There are no metal parts or fasteners. It will develop a patina as it is played with.
    IMG_8237.jpgIMG_8238.jpgIMG_8239.jpgIMG_8240.jpg

Thanks for viewing.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Thats a great truck! I like the attention to detail. I bet it will be cherished and do a lot of haul'n.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Lot of play value in a dump truck that actually dumps. I like that.

Beautiful truck! The cab looks perfect for holding and rolling.

I have that book - you might inspire me to build one. I made wheels with the lathe once - textured the tires with a machinist’s knurling tool.

(This thread caught my eye since I actually need some gravel! Checking on prices - if I go get some with my dump trailer it’s a lot cheaper per ton but I usually only haul 4-5 tons per trip and I need at least 50 tons. The cost of a 20+ ton load has gone way up since the last time I had some delivered. I bought over 200 tons then)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I finally finished the project I was working on despite the band saw tire blow out and the sander bearing going bad. This truck was adapted from a tractor trailer truck from "The Great All American Wooden Toy Book". I redrew most of it in cad to get the proportions better and to design the bed and hinge. If I make more I will alter the exhaust stack location so they clear the dump body. This toy is intended to be played with and is not to scale. It is all made of maple with just a sanded finish. The wheels were purchased. There are no metal parts or fasteners. It will develop a patina as it is played with.
    IMG_8237.jpgIMG_8238.jpgIMG_8239.jpgIMG_8240.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Blog Entries
    John, I made the engine/cab pretty much per the book, but I have never liked the cantilever roof design. It looks fragile for a play toy. The base is wider than the book @ 4-1/4" so I had to make the fenders thicker, the bumper and step longer.

The cab and engine are made from hard maple, just because that what I had on hand in thicker pieces.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-03-2022 at 9:25 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Very nice truck Lee.