Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpen This, a new LAP book

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I must be missing something here: ...
    To make a point he wasn't exactly playing fair. His comparison was for a paperback from Amazon versus a hardback plus a 2-1/2+ hour video.

First I think the significant point is these books are like apples and oranges, very different! One is intended to be comprehensive and cover all tools and the other is intended to be short quick to the point for someone who just wants to go back to work. Best to choose the one targeting what you want.

If we're making comparisons, visual learners will probably want the video. They should know the LAP video covers many tools not included in the book and shows each using the vocabulary and techniques in the book, so they are consistent. The purchase price also includes (up to?) 20 additional chapters to be release periodically next year.

Trying to compare (more) equally. Amazon's price (today) for a hardback + DVD of Leonard Lee's work is $74 ($33 + $41*.) The LAP book and (download) video is $70 ($20 + $50) until 10/31 and $95 ($20 + $75) after.

To get only the books as cheaply as possible, Amazon's price for a paperback of Lee's book is ~$17, (or ~$16 for Kindle), and LAP's price for the PDF of the book is $10.
    ____

* Add: Jim found the DVD for ~$19 at Lee Valley. (The softcover book is ~$19 at LV, so the pair can be had for ~$40 there. At Tauton the softcover book is out of stock, listed for $25.46, and the DVD or video download isn't listed for sale, so no joy there.)
    Last edited by David Bassett; 10-08-2022 at 4:48 PM. Reason: (Remove country of orgin comments.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    To make a point he wasn't exactly playing fair. His comparison was for a (no country of origin) paperback from Amazon versus a (Made in the USA) hardback plus a 2-1/2+ hour video.

First I think the significant point is these books are like apples and oranges, very different! One is intended to be comprehensive and cover all tools and the other is intended to be short quick to the point for someone who just wants to go back to work. Best to choose the one targeting what you want.

If we're making comparisons, visual learners will probably want the video. They should know the LAP video covers many tools not included in the book and shows each using the vocabulary and techniques in the book, so they are consistent. The purchase price also includes (up to?) 20 additional chapters to be release periodically next year.

Trying to compare (more) equally. Amazon's price (today) for a hardback + DVD of Leonard Lee's work is $74 ($33 + $41.) The LAP book and (download) video is $70 ($20 + $50) until 10/31 and $95 ($20 + $75) after.

To get only the books as cheaply as possible, Amazon's price for a paperback of Lee's book is ~$17, (or ~$16 for Kindle), and LAP's price for the PDF of the book is $10.
    Is this for a book other than the Leonard Lee book?

The Leonard Lee book The Complete Guide to Sharpening is published by Taunton. To the best of my knowledge Taunton prints their titles in the USA.

The remarks about the videos took me on a search.

From the Lee Valley site:

Sharpening DVD.png

From the source, the book and the DVD together, one would still need to spend a couple of dollars on closeout knobs or other hardware to get the, "Spend $40 to get free shipping."

Amazon isn't always the best price, or source.

Back on the idea of videos, to me it seems like a good idea for folks to make a video of their sharpening. Especially if they are working on learning freehand sharpening. Make videos from the side to see how well they are keeping their hands steady moving back and forth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    ... His comparison was for a (no country of origin) paperback from Amazon ....
    Is this for a book other than the Leonard Lee book?

The Leonard Lee book The Complete Guide to Sharpening is published by Taunton. To the best of my knowledge Taunton prints their titles in the USA. ...
    This is my mistake. Mea culpa! I assumed too much. (Usually listings brag about made in the US and this doesn't state any origin, which is usually Asia. I thought I'd heard they'd shifted over seas and the listing reinforced my mistake.) I don't think it makes any difference to my point and, in hindsight, I shouldn't have brought it up. (I'll fix the original post.)

Good find on the video, it should help anyone wanting to go that way, but again not really my point.