Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip Replacement and woodworking

I have been through 5 hip replacements with my parents (My dad had 1 re-done after it failed about when it's useful life expectancy was predicted). You 100% can not rush recovery. Do exactly what the Doc and PT folks tell you to do. In 6 to 8 weeks you should be in very good shape, but if you pop the hip or dislodge the new parts before they heal/set, you will have a major setback. It's not worth it.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I've had 5 hip replacements since 1998 when I was 31yrs old, 3 on the left and 2 on the right. I was at an active age where I wore them out. The last one was around 2014. There was a balancing act between age, activity, and wear. Materials have certainly improved. The process of replacement is very mechanical involving saws, hammers, screw
    drivers, etc. The recovery itself was mostly about the incision healing, which was much larger incision back in the 90's. What I learned was to be patient during healing, work hard and push yourself, maintain a good attitude, hope for good people around you to support you, and prayers. The quicker you get moving after the surgery, the better/quicker you will recover. They will tell you not to cross your feet/legs for risk of dislocation, that was a hard habit for me to break. Woodworking (safely) was a fantastic thing to keep my mind positive during those times. I turned a walking cane that has served me well over the years. I also started working with hand tools like planes and chisels and enjoyed restoring them when i didn't feel safe working with the power tools while healing. I am 55 now and no one can tell I've had all those procedures. There will be times when you feel sorry for yourself, no question, no shame. For me, i had just finished a bout with cancer in 1995-96 and I would think back to the young kids I met that were getting chemo at same time with me and it would always get my mind straight again. Those youngsters were tough as nails and they gave me the hope and inspiration that has been a blessing for the rest of my life! Good luck to you, I wish strength, and I wish you the best possible outcome!
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 09-04-2022 at 10:20 PM.

Awesome post. Seriously. I'm in the earliest phase of a potential shoulder replacement so I read these stories carefully. I'm hoping to avoid it with PT. We'll see.

Interesting comments ! My first hip replacement had a plastic cup with ceramic ball. In seven years, it had 6 mm of slop in the joint. To replace it, they just popped out the cup, pulled the ball off the stub and replaced them with metal versions....cobalt chrome. Thankfully, no wear or problems.

After I had my initial hip replacement, I toured the place they made them. You do not really want to see the instruments they use for the surgery. One thing that fascinated me is how they align everything and get the right length.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 09-05-2022 at 8:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Interesting comments ! My first hip replacement had a plastic cup with ceramic ball. In seven years, it had 6 mm of slop in the joint. To replace it, they just popped out the cup, pulled the ball off the stub and replaced them with metal versions....cobalt chrome. Thankfully, no wear or problems.

After I had my initial hip replacement, I toured the place they made them. You do not really want to see the instruments they use for the surgery. One thing that fascinated me is how they align everything and get the right length.
    Let's just say that the surgery itself is, well, lots of loud banging and sawing. And bad music choices. Not exactly the intricate precision work in my field of medicine. No, I don't use a hammer to put patients to sleep. Even when it's tempting.

Brad, 5 hip replacements. Wow. More than I've ever seen. Awesome that you're doing great now.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Let's just say that the surgery itself is, well, lots of loud banging and sawing. And bad music choices. Not exactly the intricate precision work in my field of medicine. No, I don't use a hammer to put patients to sleep. Even when it's tempting.

Brad, 5 hip replacements. Wow. More than I've ever seen. Awesome that you're doing great now.
    Alan,
    I try not to bore people with my details, but it becomes an even more complicated story...
    Since it sounds like you must have a medical background, I was a "science experiment"... They tested Vascular Fibula Transfer on the first surgeries on both sides. Using about 8-10" of my fibula bones to implant into the upper femur/ball joint. 14 hrs surgery per side done 6 months apart. When those ultimately were not completely successful and the ball collapsed, they did the next 3 with traditional artificial replacements using various alloy materials including Vitalium. I've not had a fibula on either side since '98. No real effect other than running for very far causes shin splints easily from the impact... I had lots of friends on the original Badger Pond (which subsequently carried over to those who originally joined Sawmillcreek around 2003) who helped give me the courage and spirit to fight on in those early days. Support from friends here continues until this very day I will always try to pass that kindness and support forward to anyone who can benefit from it.

For Gordon and any others facing this kind of procedure - Don't let it get you down! I saw it as just the next "life challenge" that I committed to conquering and like myself you are capable of overcoming the difficulties as well, getting beyond, and in the end wishing in many cases you had done the procedure earlier because it feels so much better than living with a constant pain Best wishes!
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 09-05-2022 at 12:05 PM.

My wife had both hips replaced 3 years ago, about 4 months apart. They told her she'd be down for 8 weeks after each one. She missed two weeks of work after the first surgery and 1 day after the second. At the time she was a desk clerk at a local motel and they wouldn't give her the time off after the second surgery. The only issue she had was when she tried running to do something (not thinking, of course) and nearly dislocated a hip. She walks normally now and doesn't have hip pain any longer.

If it were me having the surgery, I would follow the doctor's recommendations regarding downtime and PT. Fortunately, I have good insurance that will cover this kind of surgery and recovery, and I have benefits through work that will cover time missed. I thought I was going to need knee replacement soon (osteoarthritis), but I haven't had any more problems since I started taking the MoveFree supplement a year ago. That has drastically helped my situation.

I am schedule din mid November for left hip replacement. I plan to join a gym with a heated pool for exercise. As I understand it they cut off the top of the femur and install a stud using a morse taper joint. Then they screw on a ball onto the stud. For the pelvis they drill a big hole and install a cup. they pop a plastic/metal/ceramic cup liner into the metal one. No screws or glue just taper joints until 6-8 weeks when new bone grows into the porous bottom of the metal.
    If a replacement is needed they just unscrew the old ball and screw on a new one. Then they pop in a new cup liner. Similar to ball joints on a car. The replacement is quicker recovery with limited restrictions. Of course I would be 80 or older by then if needed so less likely to be doing heavy lifting by then.
    BillD

My wife has 2 bionic hips and she tells everyone that the rehab is the most important step in the process. Listen to them and you will be back in the game in due time.
    Another tip: chair height toilets. Makes a huge difference. And no more break dancing.

I had my hip done in early June. That way, I did not have to put on shoes and socks which can be hazardous. Doing it in June also avoids any winter weather hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    My wife has 2 bionic hips and she tells everyone that the rehab is the most important step in the process. Listen to them and you will be back in the game in due time.
    Another tip: chair height toilets. Makes a huge difference. And no more break dancing.
    I replaced our toilets with higher ones just before my wife's first surgery. She had one of the potty chairs (the ones that straddle the toilet to make it chair height) but didn't need it with the new units. I have to say, those few inches make a world of difference getting up and down, especially as I age. I recommend them. I bought the American Standard Champion 4 elongated bowl units. I really like them.

Blog Entries
    Bruce Cockburn's latest album is titled "Bone On Bone" I wish I did not understand the title.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I am back in the shop today after 6 weeks. I have no restrictions but the surgeon said do not do anything dangerous. I take that to mean felling trees with a chain saw and such.

Also, moving the 80 pound power feeder from the table saw to the router table. Solution, buy a dedicated baby power feeder for the router table. UPS watch tomorrow.

Thank you all for the great comments. I took it easy and stayed away from spinning blades for 6 weeks. Today I will ask SWAMBO to catch boards coming off the planer.

Thanks again,

Gordon
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

'Glad you are back in the game, Gordon, and hope things are feeling really good with the hip!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can’t add much to this conversation except that my knees are not as great as they used to be and the combination of placing rubber horse stall mats across the floor + aftermarket insoles in my shoes has gone a long way towards being able to work for hours on end in the garage. Best of luck with your recovery.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep