Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rockwool and vapor barrier question

Well at least put in a white ceiling, drywall or drop ceiling. OSB is more expensive and is awful to paint.

Recommend you paint the full OSB sheets white, before cutting and installing.
    Goes fast pour paint on flat sheet and roll it around.
    Yes, it will need another coat, however the next coat will not take as much paint.
    Yes, there will be touch up painting.
    Much faster and easier if you spread it out on the ground or other relatively flat surface and go at it.
    Room will be much lighter, especially once winter gets here with the drab weather.
    GET IT DONE, and move on. You are one busy beaver Sir
    Ron

Thanks, I hadn't thought about pre-painting. Right now drywall and OSB are within about a dollar of each other, and OSB is much easier and faster to work with, though I do believe what everyone says that it's harder to paint. I am not fond of the idea of painting it once it's in place, but on the other hand I haven't bought paint yet so I may just put it up now and figure out the details later. It's ugly looking, but it's a shop to make things to sell in, so it doesn't have to look nice or express my inner feelings. It's just a means to the end of trying to make nice banjos and things, and the more time I spend making it look nice the less time I'll have to spend making banjos (and thus money).

OSB or drywall soaks up a lot of paint. I would buy a five gallon bucket of mis-tinted paint of a light color as close to the desired finish as possible. Do not worry about sheen, call it primer. A five gallon bucket of opps paint will cost about the same as one or two gallons of real primer. Paint has gone up a lot in the last five years.
    BilL D

Some years ago I had some OSB to paint. I asked friends and neighbors if they had any half cans of paint in any color to give me. Got plenty. Opened it and if it looked fair to good it went into the bucket. Mix thoroughly into mud color. Free paint! Paid for a gallon of topcoat in a color I liked and had no problems. Still looks good.