Thread: Startling experience in the shop

Blog Entries

Startling experience in the shop

I needed to reduce the thickness of a 6" piece of maple 1/4" for a project I'm making. I decided to resaw the piece on my band saw. I tensioned the blade, set up the fence, adjusted the upper guide down a bit and turned on the saw. I was greeted by a really loud bang and a couple of pieces of something fell out of the upper guard. I immediately hit the switch so the saw stopped. I carefully opened the door and found several large pieces of a tire in the upper wheel area. That tire was intact, but the bottom one was in several pieces.
    20220901_105628.jpg
    I guess I got my money's worth out of the tires as they were the original tires. I purchased the saw in October 2002 at a wood show in Woodstock Canada. So Now I get to go shopping for new tires. I will likely replace both so I don't have the upper one blowout on me as well.

Any ideas on how to remove the upper tire which sets down inside the rim of the wheel?

No wood or people were harmed in this instance.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-01-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Wow! 20 years out a set of tires! After all these years was the rubber even flexible? Glad you are not trying to be cheap and only replace one tire🤣 Fortunately it didn’t bind up and twist or bend the blade on you.

Removing the tire is easy, just pry it off. If necessary, use a heat gun to soften the rubber. Once you get a putty knife under the rubber, you can either pry it off or cut if off with a sharp razor knife against the putty knife.
    Regards,

Tom

Been a long time since I had fix one of those. Some don’t “glue “ them on but its best to do so. Especially in a commercial shop where
    someone new the “profession “ might freak out when the flat tire flys off !
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 09-01-2022 at 1:52 PM.

Uh oh, my saw is 17 years old on the original tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Uh oh, my saw is 17 years old on the original tires.
    Mine is 30 years old with original tires. Tires are fine, but needs a new drive belt.

My Delta 14 inch is at least 30 years old with original tires (and belt). I have thought about this. Maybe some preventative maintenance is in order. The saw had never been heavily used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Removing the tire is easy, just pry it off. If necessary, use a heat gun to soften the rubber. Once you get a putty knife under the rubber, you can either pry it off or cut if off with a sharp razor knife against the putty knife.
    My wheels have a raised rim, which makes it difficult to get anything under the tires. The tires fit tight to the rim on each side. The space between the rims is 0.987 inches. The OEM tire was .093 thick. At least they aren't glued on.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-01-2022 at 9:58 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Utility knife. Just cut across it and peel it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Utility knife. Just cut across it and peel it off.
    A few years ago the upper tire on my 18" Rikon started degrading so I replaced both.

I have removed residue from the old tire with a wire brush (very carefully) with the wheel spinning.

And depending on the material, installing a new tire can be a little easier if it's first heated in hot water. Have some pry bars and/or big screwdrivers handy.

JKJ

Learned this tire installation technique from my tire source. On a section of 2X4, install 2 dowel rods. One dowel serves as an axle for the wheel. The other dowel is slightly ~2-3" outside the wheel circumference and angled 3-5 degrees away. Put the new tire over the second dowel and roll it on the wheel as you turn it by hand. May need some wire ties or clamps to hold the tire on the wheel. No need to pre-heat the tire. Takes maybe 2-3 minutes to install. Somewhere out there in the ether space is a YouTube video.

Bicycle tire iron or tire spoon.
    Bill D

Nice technique. Saw that on the Sulphur Grove web site (Resources/Videos). Installing urethane tites without removing the wheels from the saw may be a bit more challenging but not unreasonably so, based on my experience. JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Learned this tire installation technique from my tire source. On a section of 2X4, install 2 dowel rods. One dowel serves as an axle for the wheel. The other dowel is slightly ~2-3" outside the wheel circumference and angled 3-5 degrees away. Put the new tire over the second dowel and roll it on the wheel as you turn it by hand. May need some wire ties or clamps to hold the tire on the wheel. No need to pre-heat the tire. Takes maybe 2-3 minutes to install. Somewhere out there in the ether space is a YouTube video.

I have always put them on without taking a wheel off the saw. Using a heat gun in one hand, jump it around with the other hand, and when it's about too hot to hold, it will go right on without needing tools. This for anything from the big ones for the 24" saw, to the little 10".