Thread: Trotec Speedy Home position Issue

Trotec Speedy Home position Issue

Hi all. I've been working with Trotec trying to solve an issue where the home position automatically offsets to a new home position. I'll post the sequence below of what's happening.

1. Set the home position in Job control in the Settings> Laser Setting> Offset. Get it to 0/0 position and set.
    2. Print a job = Fine
    3. Print a job = Still fine
    4. Print a Job = Y axis starts engraving 1/8 lower (This varies, sometimes it's 3/16" lower).
    5. Now the new home position starts 1/8" lower for all Jobs.
    6. So I reset the home position/Offset again in the laser settings.
    7. Can print a few jobs normal then the laser moves the Y axis down again.
    Note 1: when it changes the new home position, it happens right at the beginning of printing a job.
    Note 2: This is a random issue that seems to happen within 2-5 print jobs after restiing the home position in the job control settings.
    Note 3: Sometimes we are noticing text that seems a little squished when engraved. Not on every job just some jobs.

So far Trotec has had me replace the Y limit switch, Y controller cards and the Y Motor. We have also updated Job control to 11 as well. Tried a different computer also.

Before Trotec sends a $2000 tech to my location I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on possible solutions.

Thank in advance for any feedback!
    Last edited by mike wallis; 08-31-2022 at 7:36 PM.

The 'squishy' text is indicative of an encoder strip that needs cleaning, assuming you're machine is fitted with servo motors rather than steppers...

The only machine I own running servo motors- my GCC (aka Pinnacle) Explorer- started up that nonsense awhile back. Trotec's are equipped with encoder STRIPS than run the lengths of the gantry's, whereas the servo motors on my GCC have encoder DISKS mounted to their armatures,
    be2.jpg
    the disk is about the size of a 50 cent piece--

closeup showing all the guck imbedded in the disk's 'hash marks' that get read by the
    reader. The reader simply 'sees' and counts the hash marks--
    be4.jpg
    -but not so well when covered with crud! I believe the reader 'sees' a reflection of the
    hash marks, similar to how the 'pits' in CD's and DVD's are read by laser. I've never
    seen an encoder strip up close...

the outer edge is of the encoder disk is transparent, and after a good cleaning
    all of the visible guck is gone, can't even see the hash marks...
    be6.jpg

The readers simply count the marks. If the marks are dirty then the counting becomes erratic, and so does the engraving

Not sure if this is your problem but worth a look IF you're machine has servo motors...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Mike
    How old is your machine?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I think Kev is right, the encoders on the trotecs are under the black cap on the round cylinder motors. Remove the black cap very carefully and don’t touch the encoder. I usually take compressed air or potentially a microfiber but with no pressure, then replace the cap.

In 18 years of using a Trotec I've never once encountered an encoder issue for which I credit the Trotec In Pack technology.

"Trotec lasers feature InPack Technology™ -- a special design that was developed to protect the machine's sensitive components, such as the axis, laser head, optics and lenses from dirt and dust. This patented design ensures that guide components are perfectly protected. This guarantees years of trouble-free processing even under intensive use."

I don't mean to suggest that Kev and Chase are wrong, just that I haven't experienced it.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-01-2022 at 1:49 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Any progress solving this? I’m still going to lean on the encoder strip, as it does explain the problem. It could possibly be a firmware thing too, no harm in reloading the latest firmware and seeing if it helps.