Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have givenup on the other woodXXX forum.

I hate it when a political forum like this goes off on woodworking tangents. Wouldn't that be a "splintered thread"? "Bark"ing up the wrong tree or something.

But on more serious things why not pay the minimalist $6 dollars and have full privileges David? Basically the price of 1 cup at a well known over priced Washington based coffee chain.

Quote Originally Posted by William Lessenberry View Post
    I'm only here for the joke thread. :-)) I stay away from those xxx forums. Your computer can catch a virus there. :-(

BillL
    your computer might catch a virus but what you’ll catch from your spouse will not be pretty.
    This forum is enjoyable due to the time and thoughtfulness of the moderators. And I would encourage everyone to become a contributor!

The moderators here do a great job. Jim, Keith, John and the rest - thank you for the time and effort you put in. I appreciate it.

There is also a nice group of thoughtful, intelligent and generally friendly and helpful contributors who post regularly. You all make Sawmill Creek a worthwhile place to read and participate in. So, from the bottom of my heart, thanks to all of you!

A very small wood working forum I used to enjoy was one of the first to attract people from all over the world. A Man from the Middle East posted a very beautiful piece of work, that also contained a Muslim prayer in Arabic. The nasty comments and lack of toleration were unbelievable. People couldn't just remain silent. Last I visited the site, it was almost entirely posts by devout bigots.

That was on a now defunct computer and I doubt I could find the forum again. Glad to be here.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    This planet is just one big sandbox it would be great if we could all just play nice

Quote Originally Posted by mike calabrese View Post
    This planet is just one big sandbox it would be great if we could all just play nice
    That will preach right there.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I also would like to express my appreciation for the moderators! I came to the conclusion a long time ago that discussion on the internet is not possible without it anymore, or if it ever was. There just aren't any of the mechanisms that moderate face-to-face interactions (flawed as they may be). The internet allows the loudest and most destructive voices to be amplified without any context. At least for me, life is too short and time too precious to waste on that.

Sawmill Creek is the absolute best forum that I have participated in. The mods are wonderful & do a great job of keeping the threads focused on woodworking topics. I appreciate the work that keeps this place going.

+ whatever number we're up to. The moderators here are great, and it isn't an easy job at times.

The one nice benefit in being a moderator is the same that I have being an anesthesiologist. You always get the last word.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I do enjoy reading some of the stuff on other woodworking forums.

There are other word-working forums?

I think it is funny when I have ask a poster where he lives when it may effect the answer. If no response in a few days I up it and ask for continent as a minimum. Often they reply USA and are irate I would think they could possibly be anywhere else.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    Sawmill Creek is the absolute best forum that I have participated in. The mods are wonderful & do a great job of keeping the threads focused on woodworking topics. I appreciate the work that keeps this place going.
    +100

I have accounts on few other forums as well but have not visited them in years.

One more thing that is good about SMC is the clean interface. There are minor quirks but reading pages on phone is effortless. No ads jumping on my screen everywhere.

Just for grins I did a google search for "woodxxx forum."

oh my.

Woodworking forums like this one are a throwback to an older internet. People have moved on to looser and more transitory venues. Photos of accomplishments seem to be a more common way to communicate. Help with figuring out stuff comes from searching you tube videos. Pre-internet, experts with reputations were sought out for passing on knowledge. Tage Frid, Fine Wooodworking, classes from people good at teaching, word of mouth. It was important to establish relationships with people with more experience. Forums were great, everyone had a microphone.

I have learned so much over the years reading forums. No more going to see some old guy that knew a lot. For example, I was able to build a 20 hp phase converter, insulate my building, move and hoist equipment, buy lumber, buy machinery and tooling, and do all kinds of dust collection with knowledge learned in forums.

However, the other side of the coin is the previously mentioned forum. It used to be somewhat interesting as a woodworking knowledge source. However, there was this basement where people would park their manners at the door, and let fly with the most vile racist lies and attacks. It became a safe zone for smug sharing of grievance. I felt their pain, so many men with their panties in a twist, I don't know how they could sit at a computer and type.

It was fun for a while to check in and join one side or the other in political arguments. However, after a while the ones who shouted longest and loudest were the only ones left., a mirror of public discourse.

I hope that Sawmill Creek can continue to be a place where people can respect each other as people by not allowing lies and hatred.