Thread: nord VPN

nord VPN

I've been hacked so many times and get so many junk texts that I'm doing all I can to protect my information. I purchased Nord VPN but now find certain sites won't open unless I turn it off. What's the point?

I've been using NordVPN for about 4years and never had a site request to turn it off.... I should mention it's not on all the time

I don't think a VPN is going to stop junk texts unfortunately. Those are tied to a phone number not your IP address. I use Nord to watch European cycling races but sometimes leave it on. Never had an issue with sites being blocked but sites do behave differently if they think you're from a different country.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    I don't think a VPN is going to stop junk texts unfortunately. Those are tied to a phone number not your IP address. I use Nord to watch European cycling races but sometimes leave it on. Never had an issue with sites being blocked but sites do behave differently if they think you're from a different country.
    Interesting. I realized the nord site can be changed. I changed it and the sites opened. Sometimes I just pause nord and it works.

Unfortunately, the marketing of some VPNs (Nord, in particular) is so extensive that it's leading people to think it does things it doesn't do.

Unless you have a specific need (like Greg's example of wanting to "appear" like his computer is in Europe to have access to geography-restricted content), you don't need (nor benefit from) a VPN.

If you're getting junk texts, it's either random or because you're giving your phone number out. A VPN won't fix either.

If you're getting "hacked", you should clarify what that means, specifically, but in general, make sure you're using an up-to-date operating system, using good password practices, etc.

Paying for a VPN in this case is very much like saying, "Rain leaks through my roof....so I hired a lawncare company to spray for weeds". Completely unrelated and useless for what you're seeking to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Unfortunately, the marketing of some VPNs (Nord, in particular) is so extensive that it's leading people to think it does things it doesn't do.

Unless you have a specific need (like Greg's example of wanting to "appear" like his computer is in Europe to have access to geography-restricted content), you don't need (nor benefit from) a VPN.

If you're getting junk texts, it's either random or because you're giving your phone number out. A VPN won't fix either.

If you're getting "hacked", you should clarify what that means, specifically, but in general, make sure you're using an up-to-date operating system, using good password practices, etc.

Paying for a VPN in this case is very much like saying, "Rain leaks through my roof....so I hired a lawncare company to spray for weeds". Completely unrelated and useless for what you're seeking to do.
    I've heard It's great for downloading movies....

I use ExpressVPN. Works just fine when I use it.

I tried using it in China to be able to see Google News. Nope. Didn't work. Blocked it, even though I specified a number of different countries to connect to. Oh well.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

A personal VPN isn't what marketing sometimes makes it out to be...the "privacy" only extends to the end of the tunnel where your communication path hits the Internet in general. While others can't necessarily see your actual origination point, it doesn't mean they cannot continue to interact with you in nefarious ways if you bite on something you shouldn't.

As has been mentioned, some sites are sensitive to where a connection is coming from...which is one of the major reasons why folks started to use VPNs to begin with. An example is watching media not available in your normal geography. So if your exit point from the VPN to the Internet is in a geography not served by a site, you don't get to connect to it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use Nord and I've had some goofy results. First I have issues with some of the streaming services, I think they're getting wise to people using VPN to region shift. Hulu I believe was the one complaining. I've also had some issues with my bank Ally, and their login screen. They just won't let it happen while I was connected to VPN.

Otherwise I think it's fine.

Interesting information. Learning a lot.

Use Opera browser, it is free to download and has a VPN built in that costs nothing to use.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I think VPNs are worthwhile for those that connect to public access points that are not encrypted. The connection to the web site may be encrypted (HTTPS) but I wonder if there would be a way to stage some sort of man-in-the-middle attack.

I wouldn't use Opera, it was was sold to a Chinese security company back in 2016. https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...se-consortium/

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    I wouldn't use Opera, it was was sold to a Chinese security company back in 2016. https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...se-consortium/
    The guy that started Opera and sold it (I think) has a new browser that gets pretty decent reviews called Vivaldi. I use and prefer Firefox but have Vivaldi for sites that really prefer Chrom(ium) based browsers.