Thread: Cutting composites with a table saw-static?

Cutting composites with a table saw-static?

I need to do a set of 1940s exterior emergency staircases and I’ll be using “Fortress Infinity” composite decking.
    I’ll be using my chop saw to buck the boards to length and to set the mitres when doing the picture framing, but I also have to cut the material lengthwise so there’s no gaps. It’s a rain issue underneath, and in Vancouver, it rains. Under the decking people enter and exit the building.
    On each board, I need to cut 1/4” off the top leading edge and the same 1/4” on the opposite side, bottom part.
    My question is about dust collection and static charge.
    I have a 2 hp cyclone, but I’m connected to the saw via a corrugated hose. No exterior ground along the length, except for the internal metal coil. But because of the final look, I need to use the table saw and then transport the boards to the site.
    It’s a sawstop. Too heavy to put in my wife’s Odyssey.
    How do I tame this static electricity beast?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I would use bypass mode if you are worried.

I've never found a good way to deal with the mess cutting any composite or plastic makes, on the table saw, band saw, or chop saw, if that's what you're worried about. I just resign myself to dealing with a zillion little chips sticking to everything. I try to do all the cutting in one shot and then spend the time to vacuum up all the mess. Good dust collection helps, but the chips will stick to everything.

In theory, doing it on a humid day may help a little; but I've not noticed much difference. I'll be interested to learn if anyone here has a better way to deal with the mess.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Depending upon how the waste comes off the board it can plug the DC inlet on the saw in a hurry. I cut some Azek trim on mine and was constantly having to remove the threads of plastic. When done I took the air compressor to the interior of the cabinet and ran a line from the DC into the base to encourage the debris to leave.

I think Fortress is not as bad as some, Royal P is my least favorite for staticy chips. There will be some though. We cut all composites outside so you can at least blow the machines off then rake up the mess. Do composites work with SS tech?

Steve, I’ve been reading horror stories of the static electricity setting off the system on the Facebook SawStop owners group.
    im calling them tomorrow for advice.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.