Thread: Queen size mission/arts & crafts design bed

Queen size mission/arts & crafts design bed

Working on the headboard/footboard panel design for a queen size bed. Trying to decide if two or three panels left to right would look best. On the footboard using 4" vertical and horizontal members, the two panel design comes in @ 22.375W x 17.125H. Three panel design using 3" vertical member between the two panels the panel sizes come in at @ 12.25W x 17.25H

Is a wider horizontal panel vs a taller vertical panel more desirable for the eye?

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

I'd do the two-panel design.

One designer I work with would never let you do an even number. I'll also say, if you stick with two, you may find it easier to lay grain horizontally(planer/sander width limitations), and I don't think the look would offend anyone. Even easier: go with 3, considering width drop to 12.25". (assuming you're gluing up solids here vs a flat ply panel...)

All just a matter of opinion.

jeff

I would want them equal and distinctly vertical ,and with an odd number of panels .

Thanks to everyone. I plan to use plywood as the panel insert. Thinking more about this, the more narrow vertical design is better since the ply is shorter and probably stronger that way? I thought to double up the ply, but this would require wider frame members to allow for the wider groove. Now I'm unsure if a single 1/4" plywood panel is strong enough in either orientation, in case someone leans back against it.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

1/4" plywood, secured around all edges, is surely strong enough to withstand the low loads imposed by somebody leaning on it.

Thanks jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    1/4" plywood, secured around all edges, is surely strong enough to withstand the low loads imposed by somebody leaning on it.
    Especially in the dimensions Brian is talking about.

Brian - as for orientation, it shouldn't matter in terms of strength, as the plies alternate. So just choose the surface grain orientation that looks best to you.

I made the posts 3-1/2" square. 2 ?'s.

The panel, should the stringers be 4 or 3-1/2" to match the post size.

In making the panels, the horizontal stringers should fit within the vertical stringers.

Thanks brian
    Brian

We got a new extra thick mattress and had to shorten the legs on the bed since lengthening our legs was difficult.