Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bragging on USPS

Bragging on USPS

After my thread on the FedEx not having a clue, I want to brag on the post office. Late Thursday, I order some 6203 bearings off Ebay. Shipper is located in Ann Arbor Michigan. USPS received bearings late Friday afternoon, with delivery yesterday (Monday) morning. YEAH USPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    After my thread on the FedEx not having a clue, I want to brag on the post office. Late Thursday, I order some 6203 bearings off Ebay. Shipper is located in Ann Arbor Michigan. USPS received bearings late Friday afternoon, with delivery yesterday (Monday) morning. YEAH USPS!
    I know alot of people grumble about USPS, but my local guys do a good job. Glad to hear you got your order!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Given all the current circumstances I think the USPS does a great job. I've always had great luck sending and receiving items with their service, especially using their flat rate boxes. But all these delivery services do have glitches now and then and while we may grumble when it's something we are waiting for it's still not bad considering the millions of packages moving around our country every day.

I actually had one of these glitches happen to me recently that I thought was funny, mostly because I wasn't in a hurry to get the item. I'm referring to the photo sensor that Steven Woodward showed in his dust bin circuit a couple of weeks ago. I ordered the item from an eBay seller in Hebron KY. It was shipped via USPS. The package first went to Cincinnati, OH and then to Columbus, OH. From there it went to Detroit, MI and from there it would have normally gone to my Post Office in Attica, MI. Instead it went to Teterboro, NJ then on to Phillipsburg, NJ and then back to Detroit and finally to Attica. So a small package that would have taken 2-3 days ended up taking 8 days to get to my mailbox. You just have to laugh about it. But I'd be curious to know exactly how this happened.

Blog Entries
    +1 on USPS. I know we all have different experiences based on our locations when it comes to the folks who handle and deliver our goods. I have never really had an issue with USPS. If you look at the business models of UPS and FedEx the USPS is pretty darn cheap for what they provide.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    John,
    I’ve had experiences like yours several times where something takes the scenic route. Ts kind of fun watching my package go to Timbuktu and back on the tracking. Without tracking, it’s not so fun.

Your location,distance? Still a good job regardless. I can just remember two deliveries a day.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Your location,distance? Still a good job regardless. I can just remember two deliveries a day.
    Bill D
    Ann Arbor Michigan to Apex NC, about a 20 hour drive. Remember this was over the weekend. Fed UP doesn't move ground on weekends according to their tracking. With USPS, I get packagers from the west coast on second day after USPS receives them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I can just remember two deliveries a day.
    Bill D
    Same here. When I was a kid we got two deliveries a day. In older movies, they sometimes refer to the morning or afternoon post. Not too many of us left that would know what that means.

I've had issues with USPS with packages just disappearing mid way through transit for weeks and then being found and finishing their journey. But over all they are usually very good. In fact they let the UPS guy put small packages in the mailbox so he doesn't have to drive all the way up to the house (vs FEdEx usually just picking a random house to leave it at on my ROW.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    … (vs FEdEx usually just picking a random house to leave it at on my ROW.
    That may happen due to inexperienced drivers not fully understanding the effects of momentum when tossing a package out the window with the vehicle in motion.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-30-2022 at 8:11 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lol we need drones to deliver things right in my front yard..... just so people can walk past and steal it.

Last week I had a Priority Mail package from Georgia to Minneapolis show up a day earlier than the expected delivery date so I was happy with that.

We send saw blades to Dynamic in Buffalo using USPS Flat Rate Box. Second day they are there. Dynamic return ships using UPS, which usually take a week.

Maybe not always, but ALMOST always, anything I send on Saturday gets delivered anywhere in the lower 48 on Monday. Been like that for the past 15 years at least. Especially priority mail. I haven't mailed stuff on Fridays for a long time just because I don't need to!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    We send saw blades to Dynamic in Buffalo using USPS Flat Rate Box. Second day they are there. Dynamic return ships using UPS, which usually take a week.
    That is to be expected when you are comparing a two to three day service versus a ground service. Quite a bit of Priority Mail travels via plane for at least part of the trip. UPS Ground is pretty much all surface travel via truck and sometimes by train when sending stuff to/from the western USA.