Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's not a benchtop table saw, it's a DESKTOP table saw!!

It's not a benchtop table saw, it's a DESKTOP table saw!!

I was browsing around on Amazon and this came up in a search. Had to laugh!

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctional-Tablesaw-Portable-Electric-Handmade/dp/B0974GRG5N/ref=sr_1_7

If you have a need for small, but precise, try a Byrnes instead. https://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw5.html
    Highly prized among model makers and segmenters. I get it, but I’m sticking with a 10” saw!!
    earl

Or the Micromark/Proxxon saw: https://youtu.be/9pK4Fz8r9CA
    Regards,

Tom

The sliding ruler adjusts the speed? I guess as the fence gets close to the blade the saw slows down until at zero width the blade stops? I guess that guess that gets around the saw stop patents. translating Chinglish is so much fun..
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    China Direct. Buyer beware. The world economy confuses me. Letting people in the game that do not have to play by the same rules spoils the game.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Check out Micromark. I had the same reaction until I saw their catalog and it started to make sense. Essentially these are tools for very fine craftmanship. Think models, or other delicate work. Just about anything we might talk about here is going to be way out of scale. Anyway, at that scale you really need smaller tools, otherwise it gets tricky. I mean you _can_ technically rip things down to 1/8" on the normal 10" table saw, but it's tricky. These tools go beyond that.

Oh I want it, but the 240 volt and battery power won't work in my shop. Wonder if that blade comes with it. In any case someone put it in backwards.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have the Dremel table saw they used to make back in the 80s/90s. It has a 4" blade. I bought a 40 tooth carbide blade for it from Micro Mark. That saw will cut a 45 degree bevel in 3/4" oak, or about 1" thick stock at 90 degrees. It is great for small pieces. These saws are used extensively by model makers, especially ship modelers and model aircraft builders. They are very accurate when cutting thin plywood and hardwoods. I can see then being useful for inlay work and people building small boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Check out Micromark. I had the same reaction until I saw their catalog and it started to make sense. Essentially these are tools for very fine craftmanship. Think models, or other delicate work. Just about anything we might talk about here is going to be way out of scale. Anyway, at that scale you really need smaller tools, otherwise it gets tricky. I mean you _can_ technically rip things down to 1/8" on the normal 10" table saw, but it's tricky. These tools go beyond that.
    I bought a Mini Metal Shear/Press Brake from Micromark several years ago and am very impressed with the quality. It comes in handy for making very small metal boxes and brackets.

https://www.micromark.com/Mini-Metal-Shear-Brake
    Micromark press brake.jpg

Seems like these could be great for people who make segmented turned pieces (like me). Very interesting!

I'd rather have a desktop table saw than a laptop one, if those are the choices.

Can't speak for this particular product quality, but this would be an awesome tool for hobbists! Would have loved something like this when I was building models,

Blog Entries
    I was recently was given a small antique saw. I am looking forward to setting it up for small parts. It is very heavy and very nicely made. The tilt function will be a weak point.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Wonder if that blade comes with it. In any case someone put it in backwards.
    That's the setup for 'climb cutting'. Originally intended to eliminate splintering on the bottom of your workpiece. Turned out to be a production aid as well as a safety improvement. The pieces are self ejecting out the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I'd rather have a desktop table saw than a laptop one, if those are the choices.
    One of the problems with reading this forum (and a few others) at my desk while eating lunch is the random need to clean up a monitor. And a wall. And then find something else to eat that hasn't been splurted around the room. This was one of those moments!!
    earl