Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Nancy Hiller

We are diminished. Over the years I enjoyed and learned from her articles and projects.

All I can say is soft and safe be her resting place....

I was sad to hear of her passing.
    I did not know her or communicate with her, but always enjoyed reading her articles on the lostartpress blog.

Thought I would include a few links, the one in the original post is no longer current.

Nancy Hiller (1959-2022)

which includes the links to her tribute: Nancy Hiller, Raising the Bar for Everyone

There is also a more thorough biography: Meet The Author, Nancy Hiller

The articles she wrote that I enjoyed were called Little Acorns. If you scroll to the end you can click the link to find the rest. Here are examples of a few:
    Nick Offerman: Serious Fun
    Mario Rodriguez and His Life-changing Couch
    An Interview with Barbie of Barbie Woodshop

I bought and read Nancy's book Making Things Work when it came out, a somewhat random purchase as I wasn't aware of her before.
    Reading it I didn't know how big a presence she had in the world of woodworking, and I felt like I was privy to the wisdom of a person who was deeply experienced in life, and humble and humorous enough to share her wisdom. For instance, she tells a story about the time she was asked to take on a woman as an apprentice, a woman who'd had a terrible time of it, the odds always going against her in life, and needed the support and example of a strong role model, and who needed life skills. Nancy said no, she's running a small business, it's a constant fight to make it, and she isn't equipped to become someone's full time instructor.
    l found her response clear eyed and honest.

She was inspirational. Here’s something to watch when you have some time:
    https://youtu.be/GZpXk9tzYyE

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    This is an extraordinary loss to many people, and woodworkers are just one little group that Nancy touched. Just a great lady, and a consummate writer and informal mentor. Nancy was kind enough to correspond with me as I've been working on a sideboard described in magazine articles and her book on English furniture. As sick as she was, she took time to talk with me about my work and my interpretation of her instructions. Her guidance was essential as I've been working on this, and she was just so kind to me and so giving of her time. What a great person.
    Same with me. A few months back on Instagram, I asked her about a molding profile on a piece in one of her older Lost Art Press blog posts and I got 3 replies. First was quick on what she thought she remembered doing, the second was after she looked up the post correcting herself. The third was a more detailed explanation. I also met her at WIA. She was kind and so informative. Truly a loss to the woodworking community.
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

While I know her through her works, I never had the pleasure of meeting her. Does she leave a spouse and/or children?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

The New York Times published a nice obituary today.

Paywall
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Paywall
    Yeah - I think they let you read 10 articles a month without a subscription. If you're interested, maybe give it a try again this weekend.