Thread: Hammering in Vise

Hammering in Vise

I often wonder if it is a good practice to hammer materials clamped in the jaws of a wood vise as I often see done by some of the most notable woodworkers. My vise is attached via lag bolts on the underside of my work bench as is so typical although there are some fastening applications that use the side of the bench top. Has anyone ever had to reset their loose vise as a result of frequent hammering? Isn't the work bench surface a much better choice over the long run? Your thoughts...........

I agree with you
    I've never had to reattach or re-seat a vise myself, but I have seen the situation you mentioned.
    Some hammering application are perfectly fine to perform, so long as you don't start to compromise the integrity of the vise, or it's connection to the bench.
    Like you, I prefer to use the workbench top for any type of heavy pounding or hammering.
    It's simply common sense, don't abuse your tools and they'll last much longer.

I will do minor hammering in the vise but mine is a wood screw leg vise. For heavy chopping I prefer the support of my benchtop.

I cant think of too many scenarios where i need to chop a mortise with a part held in a vise, but im sure one exists. Ive dont light chopping while holding parts in my vise, but that is the extent of it. Ive seen a few emmert's with busted brackets and housings. I can only assume that these were the victims of a heavy handed ape with a hammer.

Blog Entries
    I can't recall that I've ever done serious chisel work on work held in a vice. It's sort of counter intuitive to me.

For more than reasonably light tapping I clamp the item in a heavy duty vise in my little welding shop room, clamped between two pieces of wood if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    I often wonder if it is a good practice to hammer materials clamped in the jaws of a wood vise as I often see done by some of the most notable woodworkers. My vise is attached via lag bolts on the underside of my work bench as is so typical although there are some fastening applications that use the side of the bench top. Has anyone ever had to reset their loose vise as a result of frequent hammering? Isn't the work bench surface a much better choice over the long run? Your thoughts...........

That is what a machinist vise is designed for.

Blog Entries
    As woodworkers I think we develop a good feel for what materials and tools can do. If I am chopping on something in the vise and the little voice in my head says "that's getting a little rough" I move to a machinists vise, anvil, or stump.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler