Thread: Any experienced Mesquite DH Kiln Operators?

Any experienced Mesquite DH Kiln Operators?

Greetings,

We have our first full 4000 BF load of 9/4 mesquite slabs in our Nyle DH kiln. I have a ton of experience drying Pecan and am now trying to establish our drying schedule for Mesquite. Luckily, it is an insanely stable wood and difficult to screw up (unlike oaks, etc). We have had this cycle drying now for about 60 days but I'm struggling with HIGH moisture readings from our RDM3 Delmhorst meter. Of course, Mesquite doesn't exist in their table so I'm using Bubinga (Legume family like Mesquite) and temperature adjusting to 120 F (kiln DB setting).

I started very conversatively at 100 DB, 90 WB. Did that for 50 days. Since I bumped it up to 120 DB, 96 WB to see if I can force out moisture quicker. Only been 10 days but again....basically we are reading "high" across the entire load. Maybe everything is a-ok....just seems VERY slooooooooooowwww to get the MC content to readable, measurable values.

Typically, our Pecan would have easily started dropping significantly by now. I've gone from 35-40% moisture to under 20% easily in 60 days with Pecan. Usually I can do an entire cycle in 90 days for 10/4 slabs. The Mesquite seems to be a different animal. Really likes to keep the residual and bound moisture!! Or so it appears??

Would any others be so kind as to share their experiences and even DH settings when drying mesquite?

Thanks.
    Devin Ginther
    Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Refined Elements LLC, Owner
    TX Urban Sawmill LLC, Owner

No experience with drying mesquite or pecan, but I've dried a lot of wood in my solar and DH kilns. The best way to know the MC is to use weigh samples. While not as convenient as using a moisture meter, it's 100% reliable and accurate. You could pull a few specimens from your current load and determine the MC. Once you know the MC, additional specimens would help calibrate your moisture meter as you compare readings between the two as the load dries.

John

Brandon Berdoll at Berdoll Sawmill in Bastrop, TX has dried some thick mesquite before. You might give him a call.

Appreciate it, guys. Spoke to a few locals about their experiences and if drying green....you certainly need to go beyond the temperatures normally recommended by Nyle. Gonna keep a conservative approach to ensure the highest possible quality lumber.
    Devin Ginther
    Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Refined Elements LLC, Owner
    TX Urban Sawmill LLC, Owner