Thread: Replacing Unisaw belts

Replacing Unisaw belts

I watched some videos about replacing the belts on table saws. Some claim your saw would run smoother, and quieter by replacing the belts with link belts. My saw sat unused for at least 10 - 15 years. The belts were not bad, but they certainly did have a permanent "shape" to them. I ordered a supposedly "matched" set of link belts and replaced them. It made a marked improvement in my saw. It does run smoother. As far as quieter, I'm not sure. The sound is different, but I'm not sure it's quieter. It's a pretty simple job, at least on my saw. Loosen the motor, replace the belts, and adjust the tension. For $80, I think it was well worth it.

When belts sit for a prolonged period of time they get a “set” in them meaning they want to keep their shape.

I use cogged v-belts on my table saws. Ax usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    When belts sit for a prolonged period of time they get a “set” in them meaning they want to keep their shape.

I use cogged v-belts on my table saws. Ax usually.
    If I were to replace the link belts on my table saw I'd probably go with the ax belts. I've read that modern manufacturing is repeatable enough that 'matched sets' are no longer necessary. I've also heard/read that if a table saw has belts that have taken a set, remove the blade and let the saw run for an extended period of time - hours? - and the set will go away. No experience to know if that's true or not.

I replaced my Delta 10" Unisaw belts that were long overdue. There was a marked improvement in reducing vibration. At the vendor's recommendation, I purchased Gates AX24 purchased from Biedlers....................see link below. They were very helpful on the phone.

https://www.biedlers-belts.com/