Thread: Cutting thin strips on table saw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE

Cutting thin strips on table saw

I went searching for a reliable way to cut thin strips for some segmented bowls I was messing with.
    Looked at a bunch of Youtube vids / methods etc and went with this one on the link below.

For what it is worth this gentleman has, in my opinion, the best solution. I built one in no time only changing the indexing method he used (card stacking).
    It works like a charm!If I ever re-build this tool I would go with his card stack fence method, mine works for me (i have a fully movable front fence) but his is better.
    FYI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uluEvpd4KdI
    mike calabrese
    Last edited by mike calabrese; 08-27-2022 at 10:43 AM.

Pretty slick, thanks for the link!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    My dedicated small parts saw is an antique table saw with a Diablo 7 1/4 inch 40 tooth blade and a DIY zero clearance throat plate. The results the knowledgable gentleman in the video gets may be slightly better than mine. My little saw makes very smooth, very accurate, very thin strips. My big saw can make paper thin rips as well. The last little bit of the cut is very tricky. The fixture in the video deals with that very well.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 08-27-2022 at 7:14 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Great idea!! Wish I had seen that years ago... Thanks for the link...

The method I use for reliable and safe cutting of strips for segment work is to use a second board against my saw fence. The board to be sliced is taped edge to edge with the adjacent board. The adjacent board can be any convenient width. Using 4" board for example, the saw fence can be set at 4-1/16" to get repeatable 1/16" slices off the desired board. The only downside to this method is the need to remove and re-tape for each subsequent slice but the resulting slices are identical.