Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's with modern art?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... Sometimes it's hard to understand at piece at first visually, but hopefully there's an accompanying explanation from the artist or gallery/event. ...
    I am mostly of the opinion is that art that suffers without an explaination is missing something.

Much sculpture and painting is accompanied by a a label with a title which should be sufficient. A piece titled "torture", "my brain on drugs", "hate without prejudice", "my tuesday dream", or "artist's block", etc. could open the viewer's mind . Ideally the art (or music or interpretive dance, or poetry, etc) should stand on it's own but a simple title can guide the viewer into the frame of mind to grasp a hint of the inspiration or goal.

Maybe the three frames with white canvases (that's been done before, BTW, sometimes with one canvas, sometimes with a different solid color or subtle gradient) could be titled "Vision of the Afterlife" or somesuch. Or hey, instead of a title provide a whiteboard on a stand and a dry erase marker for visitors to provide interpretations. That could provide an dynamic creative perspective for viewers and artist alike for otherwise inscrutable pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Maybe the three frames with white canvases (that's been done before, BTW, sometimes with one canvas, sometimes with a different solid color or subtle gradient) could be titled "Vision of the Afterlife" or somesuch. Or hey, instead of a title provide a whiteboard on a stand and a dry erase marker for visitors to provide interpretations. That could provide an dynamic creative perspective for viewers and artist alike for otherwise inscrutable pieces.
    Good thoughts John. Thanks!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'm barely old enough to remember a similar rant about Elvis and how disgusting his music was and obscene. You couldn't hear the melody! I'm definitely old enough to remember similar rants about the Beatles. Yeah Yeah Yeah. Frank Sinatra though they had no talent. Buddy Rich said Ringo was a terrible drummer. Quincy Jones said they were terrible songwriters and musicians.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I'm barely old enough to remember a similar rant about Elvis and how disgusting his music was and obscene. You couldn't hear the melody! I'm definitely old enough to remember similar rants about the Beatles. Yeah Yeah Yeah. Frank Sinatra though they had no talent. Buddy Rich said Ringo was a terrible drummer. Quincy Jones said they were terrible songwriters and musicians.
    Well, you've got me on this point.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

What's your point?

Art, Music, Architecture, and yes Furniture are all subjective as pointed out by Jim. Just because the OP doesn't like modern art doesn't mean the artist is bad. And tastes change. What is awful art (Picasso, Bosch) in the day turns out to be a priceless masterpiece now. The same can be said about music. My Dad hated Elvis and the Beatles. Turns out their works are priceless classic masterpieces now. Ray Eames furniture was widely criticized in the day and again, its now a priceless masterpiece.
    Regards,

Tom

Popularity dictates the price, not the quality.

Crap that later becomes collector pieces is still crap , just more expensive crap. Ringo may be the most famous drummer but that has zero to do with his "talent"

Art, Music, Architecture, and yes Furniture are all subjective as pointed out by Jim. Just because the OP doesn't like modern art doesn't mean the artist is bad. And tastes change. What is awful art (Picasso, Bosch) in the day turns out to be a priceless masterpiece now. The same can be said about music. My Dad hated Elvis and the Beatles. Turns out their works are priceless classic masterpieces now. Ray Eames furniture was widely criticized in the day and again, its now a priceless masterpiece.

Now, as ever, 90% of everything produced is crap. In a hundred years or so it will be discarded and, just as we know think that everyone who painted in the Renaissance was wonderful, only the good stuff will be seen. And, just as then, it won't necessarily be what's most popular today.

Art schools place a very high premium on originality and doing something "new", hence a lot of failed experiments. OTOH, at least in science, failed experiments are key to making progress. I suspect that is true of art as well. I'm not, and never will be, an artist.

Blog Entries
    I read once that when Stravinsky premiered Rite of Spring, there was a riot.

I read that when. a British county mansion was built(1600?) in red brick it had to be covered in sandstone cladding . This was due to fears the bright color would drive the locals into a frenzy of over excitement.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I try to keep an open mind... Basquiat is one who's work I just do not care for.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 08-27-2022 at 8:05 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I read that when. a British county mansion was built(1600?) in red brick it had to be covered in sandstone cladding . This was due to fears the bright color would drive the locals into a frenzy of over excitement.
    Bill D
    My guess is the bricks were not fire baked ,the sandstone was pre-baked.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I read once that when Stravinsky premiered Rite of Spring, there was a riot.
    yeah, I heard that from the school music teacher years ago. Pretty sure most of us were thinking , “ Wow! , Wish I could have been part of
    that !

I see different…compositions and wonder where the excitement comes from. If I am able to witness it in person sometime I am just astonished at its power. In ‘70 standing before Mona Lisa, closely, before everything had to be protected I was stunned at the beauty. Van Gogh, so many others, Esherick, thankfully. I love Winslow Homer’s work. How do you judge taste or excellence until you see it up close. The popularity of any creation matters little to me. I have gotten to the point that I can make my own choice as to what I like. I am so very gratified that people just continue to produce. Hell, it gives us something to laud or jump on, over or up & down about. I tell my grandkids, 6, 8 & 10, do what you like. Make it! Just make something. Express! Why not, it is what keeps us here, isn’t it?

Background information on the paintings "the scream" adds quite a bit to it. The subject is on a bridge walking back from the insane asslyeum at the far end of the bridge. I believe his sister lived there for a while.
    Bill D