Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: What's with modern art?

I don’t think it’s a painting . It’s a cut and paste. When “construction paper “ was invented the company was always looking for
    famous people who would use it. High School proms were the real pioneers with the paper chains.

Why do you think that he switched to this? owl.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Do you prefer children paint like this: Attachment 485340
    That was painted by Picasso when he was 12.

Which picture do you think took him the longest to paint, the Owl or the old fisherman? and which picture was most recognizable as a Picasso and which Picture made him the best ROI.? Feel free to answer my questions if you like, although I seriously doubt that you will. I never said that Picasso wasn't able to paint, I just figure that he realized it was a lot of work and that it didn't get him noticed doing good work, he would be just another artist. Then the brilliant revelation that people are gullible enough to believe anything if properly presented. You and can get noticed doing something different, BOOM ! SHOCKING, CRAZY, you know, a good business decision. Kind of of like Shock rock, I went to a great Alice Copper concert back in the early 70's. It was like Wow Man crazy, that's different, it helped that i was stoned at the time. Picasso and his contemporaries were fighting to find a gimmick just like Alice Cooper. I like Alice By the way. You notice that Picasso dropped the good stuff pretty early on for the quick and easy stuff with the big paycheck. Schools out!
    alice-cooper@1400x1050.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Which picture do you think took him the longest to paint, the Owl or the old fisherman? and which picture was most recognizable as a Picasso and which Picture made him the best ROI.? Feel free to answer my questions if you like, although I seriously doubt that you will. I never said that Picasso wasn't able to paint, I just figure that he realized it was a lot of work and that it didn't get him noticed doing good work, he would be just another artist.
    Exactly. No one wants to see someone create the same art that already exists. We don't want to hear the same music or look at the same buildings. We pay for creativity not reproductions. You seem upset Picasso was able to monetize his talent. Not all artists need to starve.

First of all, I didn't bring up the Nazis, the video that you linked to did, I just watched the video that you linked to and remarked on it.

I don't know what world you live in but we are surrounded and bombarded by scams, and con artists. Everyone is trying to sell us something, convince us of something. Whether it is the woodworking Gurus or the yoga Gurus, the religions or cults, the politician's or herbalists, or pharmaceutical companies, everyone wants to sell you a miracle or be your saviour. The one thing that they want to do is convince you of something, a product, a cause whatever appeals to you, they are searching to sell to you, best of all they will sell you your dreams and solve your problems. The list is endless.

smoke.jpgmillion.jpgTony.jpgIndian.jpg

So if I told you that I did the owl, and not Picasso, would the change your opinion of it, or the value of it ? and why? It is still exactly the same, nothing has changed.

if you bought an original Picasso, and a few years later someone told you that it was a fake, would you be upset? after having looked at it lovingly for ten years, how would you know feel? it would still be the same painting that gave you such great joy to look at. What has changed, not the painting or drawing, only what is in your head. So what did you buy, what did you pay for? certainly you still have the artwork which you purchased because you loved it and it spoke to you. Is it that you didn't buy it for the artwork at all, but because it made you feel special to "own" a real Picasso, now finding out that it is a fake, you feel like a fool that has been cheated. But of course you could get a second opinion and maybe they could verify it as real, oh the emotional rollercoaster. What to feel?

The fact is you cannot tell if it's real or fake! So what difference does it make?

If you can't tell the difference and have to trust someone telling you whether it is real or fake, what is real, and does it matter, as long as the salesman convinces you, you are happy in your blissful ignorance. The salesman can then go on and sell another dozen copies to those of similar highly sophisticated intellect, and make lots of people happy.

Reality is such a hoot isn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Exactly. No one wants to see someone create the same art that already exists. We don't want to hear the same music or look at the same buildings. We pay for creativity not reproductions. You seem upset Picasso was able to monetize his talent. Not all artists need to starve.

Blog Entries
    Many pieces of art come with papers of authentication or letters of provenance.

A lot of Picassos sculptures have been produced in quantity in studios or a factor of sorts. The will have a stamp or other form of authentication.

Another musical example would be the Monkees. They weren't even playing or singing on some of their albums. But some people enjoyed the music.

Even Woodstock was a scam if you want it to be.

Everything in the world can be a scam.

Everyone is an idiot, only on different subjects.

Everyone is a genius, only on different subjects.

Looking to see every angle of scam behind every encounter is a cynical way to live.

I like the idea of enjoying what comes to me freely. If I like a piece of art enough to want to display it in my home, I buy a print. It is less expensive that way. Sometimes art has been given to me by artist friends. I have sometimes given my art to friends.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-03-2022 at 1:48 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Why do you think that he switched to this? owl.jpg
    Not trying to stir the pot here, but I LIKE the owl. It's simple. It's different. And I can easily tell what it is without making up some mystical BS to "explain" it. I like the owl a whole LOT more than the ugly crap I describe in my original post. (See example below.)
    gego modern art.jpg
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-03-2022 at 9:07 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I heard on TV they are making a bio pic of Milli Vanilli. Thanks to them and Madona California passed a law years ago ago that muscians at a live concert have to preform in real life.
    Bill D

First the Monkees, now Milli Vanilli, my whole life has been a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I heard on TV they are making a bio pic of Milli Vanilli. Thanks to them and Madona California passed a law years ago ago that muscians at a live concert have to preform in real life.
    Bill D

Call me Cynical if you must.

Where lies the truth between Gullible, realistic and cynical?

Scams are everywhere, I get about 50 email a day that are some type of scam.
    You have big time scammers from government, industry, religion down to the smaller con-artists, it's a full time job not to get scammed by someone somehow.

Maria Duval

Maria.jpg crystal.jpg

It's one of the world's longest-running cons. Hundreds of millions of dollars stolen from some of the world's most vulnerable people -- the sick, the elderly and the poor -- who all thought they had found a savior in a mysterious woman named Maria Duval.
    It has claimed more than 60 times the number of victims of Madoff's Ponzi scheme. With millions of people affected from the United States to Japan, federal investigators say it would be hard to find another case of consumer fraud that has hurt more people.
    Since the alleged mail fraud started around 20 years ago, a laundry list of government agencies across the globe -- including the U.S. Department of Justice, British authorities, Canadian fraud investigators and Australian consumer protection officials -- have attempted to put an end to the scheme.
    But somehow, it has raged on for decades. It all centers around a mysterious French psychic named Maria Duval. In letters, interviews and Internet videos seen around the globe, Duval says she has had visions of the world exploding and humans living in space. She claims to have successfully predicted election results, forecast winning lottery numbers and helped police investigate crimes. She says she even found the missing dog of movie star Brigitte Bardot.
    And millions of people have been convinced by her "personalized" letters that she can help them, too.

The list is endless.

blood.jpgBernei.jpgEnron.jpgBre-X.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Many pieces of art come with papers of authentication or letters of provenance.

A lot of Picassos sculptures have been produced in quantity in studios or a factor of sorts. The will have a stamp or other form of authentication.

Another musical example would be the Monkees. They weren't even playing or singing on some of their albums. But some people enjoyed the music.

Even Woodstock was a scam if you want it to be.

Everything in the world can be a scam.

Everyone is an idiot, only on different subjects.

Everyone is a genius, only on different subjects.

Looking to see every angle of scam behind every encounter is a cynical way to live.

I like the idea of enjoying what comes to me freely. If I like a piece of art enough to want to display it in my home, I buy a print. It is less expensive that way. Sometimes art has been given to me by artist friends. I have sometimes given my art to friends.

jtk

It is interesting to see in my lifetime a few paintings or sculptures have gone from school of famous artist to being made by the famous artist. Suddenly they are significant works and worth 100-1,000 times more money. How much did Michaangelo actually do on his sculptures verus how much grunt work did someone else with young muscles do to rough it out. Does it matter?
    It should only matter to an art historian who wants to understand the progression of a artists style and technique.
    Looking at ancient Egyptian or Chinesse art I do not care what dynasty made it. It is either good looking or not. For crude caveman stuff I suppose it does make a difference. Ancient cave paintings are not wonderful until you realize the makers probably had no spoken language,certainly nothingn written down to tell their story. Modern taggers have no such excuse.
    Bill D

Which picture do you think took him the longest to paint, the Owl or the old fisherman? and which picture was most recognizable as a Picasso and which Picture made him the best ROI..... I never said that Picasso wasn't able to paint, I just figure that he realized it was a lot of work and that it didn't get him noticed doing good work, he would be just another artist.
    Ok, there's truth here. You have to stand out if you are going to get noticed and NOT be another starving artist. I don't begrudge someone who creates art/music/literature for trying to stand out and be noticed. David Bowie was one flaky guy back in his Ziggy Stardust days - he became (IMO) one of several "elders" of rock music. You named Alice for having a gimmick. I can add KISS, Madonna and others.

Then the brilliant revelation that people are gullible enough to believe anything if properly presented. You and can get noticed doing something different, BOOM ! SHOCKING, CRAZY, you know, a good business decision. ... You notice that Picasso dropped the good stuff pretty early on for the quick and easy stuff with the big paycheck. Schools out!
    Here's where I disagree with you. It wasn't (necessarily) a scam that Picasso went with the art that set him apart and made him some money. The guy probably went "Huh, no kiddin? They like that? Well, let me follow that a while and see where it goes." That's not alot different than Bowie or others did. If people like "Art Collector Frank" made up mystical BS stories, that doesn't mean Picasso was pulling a scam.

Think about furniture. Most people seem to really like Nakashima. To my eyes, his work is beautifully crafted but nothing I'd ever want to emulate. But it's different and got him noticed. Is it a scam that this piece sold for $130,000? I doubt it.
    nakashima.jpg
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-03-2022 at 11:06 AM.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

Here's where I disagree with you. It wasn't (necessarily) a scam that Picasso went with the art that set him apart and made him some money. The guy probably went "Huh, no kiddin? They like that? Well, let me follow that a while and see where it goes." That's not alot different than Bowie or others did. If people like "Art Collector Frank" made up mystical BS stories, that doesn't mean Picasso was pulling a scam.

Think about furniture. Most people seem to really like Nakashima. To my eyes, his work is beautifully crafted but nothing I'd ever want to emulate. But it's different and got him noticed. Is it a scam that this piece sold for $130,000? I doubt it.
    nakashima.jpg
    One way to get rich, give the customer what they want. Most likely not many people are going to get excited about bent and twisted coat hangers. Though wire coat hangers are becoming a thing of the past.

Looking at Nakashima's bench and thinking how much work it would take me, $130,000 is a bargain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, I know you're right Sir.

Changing subjects, here's another fun one..... 7 kinds of art critics.