Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advise making 1/8" plywood

As to your question of whether to glue 1 side or both, if you take Jim’s sandwich visual, glue on the internal sides of both pieces of bread should be enough, but it’s not going to hurt if you apply glue to both sides of the substrate. Make the panel bigger than you need then cut to final size to handle the squeeze out.

okay. thanks.

I use a plastic autobody spreader and cut small notches in the business end with a hacksaw about 1/16" deep, spaced about 1/8" apart. Using that with Titebond leaves just the right amount of glue on one side to bond two pieces together. This is the same process one uses to glue veneer onto a thick substrate. You apply glue only to the substrate. You know you have the right amount of glue on when you see little squeeze out bubbles along the edges of the workpiece when it comes out of the clamps. If you have a continuous bead of excess glue, you applied too much; if you see no squeeze out you applied too little.

John

Used to be able to buy 4'x8' 1/8"door skins at my hardwood supplier, no idea if they still sell them, but I have several sheets in my rack. Also 1/8" plywood is very commonly used by kitchen cabinet refacers. If you have a company around doing that, good chance they will sell you a cutoff.

I put glue on both sides and used a roller to evenly spread it out. I also made the sheets oversized so I didn't have to worry about each piece of plywood was perfectly aligned on each edge.

Blog Entries
    If using a substrate (say MDF), then you'd apply glue to one side of the substrate, stack the veneer on top, flip the sandwich, then apply glue to the substrate (reverse side from the side you already applied glue to), stack the veneer on top, then place in the press, clamps, or vacuum bag.

If making plywood, apply glue to one side of two of the three veneers, orient the grain at 90 degrees.

Mike

I've been using it on our overhead camper rebuild. Kinda looks like Laun. It's slightly under 1/8 inch but works. Jim

I think making a plywood panel is going to be more challenging than you might think. Did you consider if you should use ⅛" ply? Many other materials come in that thickness.

So I ended up getting some 1/8" baltic birch at Owl Hardwoods. And saw some sapelle (first time I ever saw that stuff. Wow.). Then made some 0.054" sapelle veneer and glued it to the baltic birch. That sapelle sure is pretty. I am now almost 3/16" versus the specified 1/8" but it seems to fit.

Thanks everyone.

John H

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Not sure exactly what you are looking for to maintain the original quality but some of the stuff below may help
    You can buy 1/8 plywood from several sources including aircraft supply and marine supply sources.
    This link is just one source
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categ...p/plywood.html
    They list 1/8 x 4 x 4 at $89.00
    here are some other sources
    https://www.wicksaircraft.com/c/aircraft-plywood/
    https://aircraftplywood.com
    mike calabrese