Thread: Sketchup for Ipad

Sketchup for Ipad

Is it as good as it sounds? I have current subscription to sketchup pro. Love it.

I do a fair amount of custom work and I’m sick of taking pictures of my sketches and dims drawn on ram board. Seems like I would be much more productive using an ipad on site visits.

Anyone have feelings regarding this new software?

I don’t know, but am very interested in this as well.
    Still waters run deep.

I haven't tried it on iPad, but I guess I should...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Need some clarity - are you saying you want to bring your completed designs to the jobsite, or want to be able to start a sketch at the jobsite from scratch? Looks like it's only for opening and examining current designs and doing some limited changes.

I simply bring my laptop to meetings with clients, punch into their TV with an HDMI and get to it. IME, the designer and or client are immediately going to want things altered, and poking around on an abbreviated screen with limited controls is simply going to irritate the crap out of me, so I personally won't likely bother. Laptop is (almost) just as portable, yet fully functional.

The app that interested me much more was scanning a room for measurements, then importing into Sketchup. Looks like you can import a DXF of the scan into Sketchup:

https://help.magicplan.app/scan-a-ro...device-android

Wonder if anyone else saw this and tried it?
    Is this more in line with what you are trying to do?

jeff

I have been using it for around a month. There is definitely a learning curve. Once you you get it, it’s fairly easy to use.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I guess it depends on what your doing in Sketchup. For me I think it would be harder, even with an Apple Pencil. The keyboard strokes and mouse dexterity I find really important for reasonably fast design. Even using Sketchup with a Mac Pro multi-touch is difficult.

This is what is getting old. Photos always posting sideways also gets old.
    IMG_4105.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    Need some clarity - are you saying you want to bring your completed designs to the jobsite, or want to be able to start a sketch at the jobsite from scratch? Looks like it's only for opening and examining current designs and doing some limited changes.

I simply bring my laptop to meetings with clients, punch into their TV with an HDMI and get to it. IME, the designer and or client are immediately going to want things altered, and poking around on an abbreviated screen with limited controls is simply going to irritate the crap out of me, so I personally won't likely bother. Laptop is (almost) just as portable, yet fully functional.

The app that interested me much more was scanning a room for measurements, then importing into Sketchup. Looks like you can import a DXF of the scan into Sketchup:

https://help.magicplan.app/scan-a-ro...device-android

Wonder if anyone else saw this and tried it?
    Is this more in line with what you are trying to do?

jeff
    Jeff, they have updated the app to have modeling capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    I guess it depends on what your doing in Sketchup. For me I think it would be harder, even with an Apple Pencil. The keyboard strokes and mouse dexterity I find really important for reasonably fast design. Even using Sketchup with a Mac Pro multi-touch is difficult.
    Interesting. I use it for shop drawings when designing custom work for the interior designers and architects I work with. Good old paper and pencil just gets too messy. My notes make a lot of sense in the moment, then when I actually start to sketch a week later it's gibberish. That could be solved with a better system in place, and an iPad seems like a decent investment for this. I think you can get a model that will run sketchup and a decent apple pencil for under $400. So basically I would use it to better record notes for things like banquettes and build-ins during site visits. I would likely pair it with a keyboard and mouse when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Hussey View Post
    I have been using it for around a month. There is definitely a learning curve. Once you you get it, it’s fairly easy to use.
    Good to know!
    Last edited by chuck van dyck; 08-25-2022 at 6:59 PM. Reason: addition of pic

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I didn't see this until now. Can you clarify what you mean about using multi-touch on a Mac Pro? Macs don't have touch screens so what multi-touch are you referring to?

And I completely agree about keyboard shortcuts being really important when modeling. SketchUp for iPad supports keyboards for exactly that reason. I have one of those folio cases on my iPad that includes a keyboard, so I use my left hand on the keyboard and hold the Apple Pencil in my right hand. I hooked up a bluetooth mouse as well but I find I never use it. Keyboard and pencil are good for me.

Again just my experience but I find that the iPad editor doesn't replace the desktop editor, it complements it. I like using the big screen on my desk and having Extensions, but there are plenty of times when I want to get away from my desk and take my model with me, like going out to the shop or modeling with my feet up in my recliner or giving someone a demo without bringing them into my office.

Try shapr3d on I pad it rules…

Just wanted to update here and say although I haven’t tried sketchup for iPad yet, shapr3d does indeed rock. Its in its infancy so it is missing a lot of really needed software, but I think it will get there. It you can live without point to point measurements and the ability to choose grain direction when rendering, it is a really efficient way to work out an idea. I am planning a trestle table base with lots of bridle joinery and while it may not be necessary, its kinda nice/fun to have a detailed shop plan for each joint. Happy to upload some drawings if anyone is interested.

Please do, I'd like to see and possibly move away from hand drawings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Kwong View Post
    Please do, I'd like to see and possibly move away from hand drawings as well.
    Here are a few examples where I recently found it super helpful. First I figured out the geometry involved with making the desired shape. When happy with shape I extruded and made a rendering for the client. They were happy with the vibe I moved on to a 1:1 mock up of the shape. I was able to use details from my 2D sketch to map out where to place trammels to create the shape. This was brought on site and view in place with edge profile samples to be reviewed. Like I said, not totally necessary, but it really did take out all the guess work when making the mock up.
    IMG_0008.jpgIMG_0014.jpgIMG_4269.jpg

Another example is the joinery in this table base. I'll only share the "foot" here. I don't have all crucial dimensions listed currently but could easily have them with a quick tap of the pen.
    IMG_0010.jpgIMG_0013.jpg

Anyways, hope this helps

PS, its also really nice to be able to sketch from the couch...