Thread: Summertime problem

Summertime problem

I know some of you have unconditioned shop space and like the summer to work. I have the luxury of some inside space and some unconditioned garage space. Even so this summer has left me no time in the woodshop. I did learn about garden drip irrigation systems and I honed up my skills on stair building by building new stairs for my deck and helping my good neighbor with a new deck and of course new stairs for his deck. Then the other neighbor got an above ground pool, of course stairs for the pool. Than put new bearings and rollers in my dryer. Than the heated seat in my truck stuck on etc. etc. I find myself wishing for summer to end and be able to do some woodworking. Stair building doesn’t count to me. Come on cold weather and snow so i can get some shop time.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Maybe they are called the "dog days of summer" from everyone saying "dog gone, it is too hot to work in the shop."

Fortunately my shop has a small grove of trees on the southwest side to keep in the shade most of the day. This helps a little bit.

One thing about working in the shop during winter. It got me to make tighter dovetails so they would hold together without gluing. Though for most things they get made when it is still warm enough to use wood glue.

For me stair making was such a kick, it has me looking forward to making some more. Even ended up getting some Starrett Stair Gauges. They are not an actual pair since both are of the same side. They can still work with one on the square upside down.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe they are called the "dog days of summer" from everyone saying "dog gone, it is too hot to work in the shop."

Fortunately my shop has a small grove of trees on the southwest side to keep in the shade most of the day. This helps a little bit.

One thing about working in the shop during winter. It got me to make tighter dovetails so they would hold together without gluing. Though for most things they get made when it is still warm enough to use wood glue.

For me stair making was such a kick, it has me looking forward to making some more. Even ended up getting some Starrett Stair Gauges. They are not an actual pair since both are of the same side. They can still work with one on the square upside down.

jtk
    Stairs are fun especially when you are working with someone who wants to learn. My neighbor was fascinated with the whole thing. Now he knows the process. Stair gauges are great tools. Many uses for work. Try using one on your combo or try square for repeated angles. Also work for pinch bars.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Stairs are fun especially when you are working with someone who wants to learn. My neighbor was fascinated with the whole thing. Now he knows the process. Stair gauges are great tools. Many uses for work. Try using one on your combo or try square for repeated angles. Also work for pinch bars.
    Jim
    My grandson helped me with the stairs and on the second set he wanted and was allowed to make some of the cuts. So that did make it much more fun.

Thanks for the tips on more uses for the stair gauges. Trying to visualize using them with a combo or try square for angles. I'll give it a try in the shop. I can see it on a framing square for setting angles when you know the ratio for the angle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Since I’m elderly and feeble I installed heat and air when I built my shop. I learned a lot about plenums and duct work. In the summer I usually keep the thermostat at 80 which feels quite cool and comfortable compared to the heat and high humidity outside. The shop is in full sun much of the day.

But even with AC I’ve spent very little time in the shop. There is always way more than I can do around the farm and I think I’m getting lazy. If rich I’d hire a landscaper/grounds-keeper/gardener, construction guy, equipment operator/truck driver, llama wrangler, and someone to feed, water, and clean out the peacock cages. Fortunately I trade expert horse handling/training for boarding.

But I do need to downsize. Anyone want some mini donkeys? Hard to ship by UPS though.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I remember learning from Dad the importance of managing sweat drops during sanding, staining, and varnishing time.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I remember learning from Dad the importance of managing sweat drops during sanding, staining, and varnishing time.
    Usually a bandana or headband made of clean shop rags takes care of that for me.

jtk

I know what you mean James. I just finally got some shop time yesterday. First time in 3 months.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I feel the same way!

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I know some of you have unconditioned shop space and like the summer to work. I have the luxury of some inside space and some unconditioned garage space. Even so this summer has left me no time in the woodshop. I did learn about garden drip irrigation systems and I honed up my skills on stair building by building new stairs for my deck and helping my good neighbor with a new deck and of course new stairs for his deck. Then the other neighbor got an above ground pool, of course stairs for the pool. Than put new bearings and rollers in my dryer. Than the heated seat in my truck stuck on etc. etc. I find myself wishing for summer to end and be able to do some woodworking. Stair building doesn’t count to me. Come on cold weather and snow so i can get some shop time.
    Jim
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Since I’m elderly and feeble I installed heat and air when I built my shop. I learned a lot about plenums and duct work. In the summer I usually keep the thermostat at 80 which feels quite cool and comfortable compared to the heat and high humidity outside. The shop is in full sun much of the day.

But even with AC I’ve spent very little time in the shop. There is always way more than I can do around the farm and I think I’m getting lazy. If rich I’d hire a landscaper/grounds-keeper/gardener, construction guy, equipment operator/truck driver, llama wrangler, and someone to feed, water, and clean out the peacock cages. Fortunately I trade expert horse handling/training for boarding.

But I do need to downsize. Anyone want some mini donkeys? Hard to ship by UPS though.

JKJ
    Maybe you and I can hire a person to split time helping both of us. Lots of things would be easier with a younger back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Maybe you and I can hire a person to split time helping both of us. Lots of things would be easier with a younger back.
    For years I had the perfect guy for farm work - young fellow, a sheep farmer himself who knew animal care, hard worker - he would run between tasks. Needed no supervision.

Unfortunately for me, but great for him, he’s in vet school now with almost no free time. He still comes and takes care of things when we go on vacation, might be 4am before school and again in the evening. He’s definitely worth a generous $$$ agreement!

I wish I knew someone else like him. Seems more difficult now to find someone willing to work.

I have good neighbors, young ones, on three sides. I try hard not to ask for help but they are more than willing. I provide the expertise, like the stairs mentioned previously, and they provide the muscles. I try to use that muscle sparely because it is a gift. They rarely expect to be paid unless I demand the deal beforehand. I do buy tools for them sometimes that they see me use and want for their kit. I very much appreciate my good young strong neighbors.
    Jim