Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FedEX Doesn't Have a Clue

Different experience here. FedEx, over the past couple of years, has been most accurate/informative with tracking data. UPS is "spotty" - sometimes very good, but I have had 3 or 4 shipments where they seemed to be just clueless (one that they finally tagged as "lost," which showed up a couple of days after the replacement order was delivered, one that was tagged as "lost," and Amazon had the replacement delivered just a day or two after the original order was supposed to show up, and one that languished for almost two weeks "in transit between carrier facilities" before it finally showed up. USPS seems to be pretty good with stuff that is shipped end-to-end with them. When they take a hand-off from FedEx or UPS, it gets "iffy." I don't know if that's the fault of USPS or the primary carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Different experience here. FedEx, over the past couple of years, has been most accurate/informative with tracking data.
    Fedex didn't get to be a $50+ billion company by 'not having a clue'. Their core strength has always been their information technology systems. Like any system it's not perfect but overall they provide excellent service.

Anyone noticed that UPS has hidden the actual location of the package in route when looking up the tracking number without a UPS account?

I ship a ton with FedEx, enough to get assigned an account rep, and they have generally been great. I’ve only had minor issues with a couple independently owned/operated locations, but I was admittedly pushing the rules so probably my fault.

Location is going to have a huge impact on your service, especially if you are located in a rural address with a single hub located pretty far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Fedex didn't get to be a $50+ billion company by 'not having a clue'. Their core strength has always been their information technology systems. Like any system it's not perfect but overall they provide excellent service.
    Right now their tracking shows a package in northern NJ, which is scheduled for 9:00 AM delivery tomorrow. Not holding my breath awaiting delivery. My package from California shows it in their LA hub since the 23rd, even though tracking on the 24th showed it to be in local hub (Raleigh NC.) DUH!

The problem with all of them is that they can't tell the difference between a city, a town, and rural areas. They try to treat them all the same. In a city making a left turn is very hard. Out in the middle of nowhere it makes little difference. They really need to allow their drivers to modify routes when they feel it'll be more efficient. But large companies like to have everybody doing things the same way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    We have a good friend who has worked for Fed Ex for 15 years and is still working for them. We saw him briefly last weekend and he said there have been some changes. Fed Ex has all the drivers running ragged with their new system. Drivers are not working their normal routes. Instead of having an efficient route where they pick up/deliver in the order of the buildings - 1, 2, 3, 4 .... they have to follow the new mapped out route which forces they to drive past buildings 1, 2, 3, 4 and go to building 15. Then the route takes them to building 4, then over to building 23 and then back to buildings 1, 2, etc. He has no notes when going into all these new business locations that require codes to enter the gate or building. He is also crossing paths with other Fed Ex drivers as they have packages for another person in that same building. It has been nightmare for the drivers and our buddy said he has been finishing his shift at 9pm. We didn't get to talk long, so I'm not sure how long this new system has been implemented, but I know it was for all the drivers nationwide. I don't think it impacts the "Fed Ex" drivers who buy their routes and are not actual fed ex employees.
    One of the problems may be an attempt to combine their express deliveries with their ground deliveries. This could explain the circuitous routes the drivers are taking if building 15 has a time deadline ahead of other deliveries.

This is just some of the feel that came from > https://www.supplychainbrain.com/art...ry-contractors

With the increase of traffic from the pandemic and workers jumping ship from the pressure it could be a while before they get back on track.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Anyone noticed that UPS has hidden the actual location of the package in route when looking up the tracking number without a UPS account?
    I'm still able to get location information from UPS without being logged into an account. They do have it hidden a bit. You have to view detail and then click on the Shipment Progress tab. There was a period of time when UPS was not showing the location tracking at all, but they brought it back.

Tracking is not always accurate. I had some stuff shipped via LTL freight with TForce Freight (formerly UPS Freight) recently. Tracking said it was supposed to be delivered on last Tuesday. However, as of last Monday morning tracking still showed it as being in Reno, Nevada. I was surprised to get a phone call last Monday afternoon to schedule delivery for Tuesday. The shipment was certainly not in Reno last Monday morning if it was in Minneapolis that Monday afternoon.

This morning, FedEx decided that my package located at their hub in northern NJ wouldn't be delivered till tomorrow. As always, tomorrow never comes. Other package still shows in California, with no expected delivery date.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    UPS has a tracking system which is in first place. USPS is in second place, and FedEx didn't qualify.
    When my son orders anything sent by UPS they always deliver it to the wrong address. It's a normal street with a normal address but for some reason UPS can't get the package to it. I recently ordered something from Lee Valley and had it shipped to his house. He was tracking it constantly to see where it was. When he saw the the status was "delivered" he went out to the front porch and ... no package. He called immediatly to a person at UPS that he had been dealing with about another lost package and the guy could tell him that it had been delivered to an address about a block away. The address wasn't even close in name or number to his. He ran over and got his package. Hardly first place performance for UPS.

Ah I see it. Thanks for the tip Brian.

Package from California now shows as being in Georgia, with an expected delivery day of Friday Aug 26th, which was last week. Other package from NJ shows being in FedEx's Kernersville NC hub with a delivery of today. Not holding my breath on either being delivered on time.

My "favorite" with FedEx was the driver who was supposed to deliver a case of wine, and in fact said it was delivered on the website, and I got a text message. But no delivery. And, unbeknownst to the driver, lots of security cameras in the community and my home.

Called FedEx, told them I would file a police report, and low and behold, about an hour later, the FedEx driver drove up to the community, hopped over a fence thinking he wasn't on the cameras, and sprinted a strange path across the lawn - again trying to avoid detection.

Told FedEx when they called back the next day that it was all recorded, and they could do whatever they wanted to do with their employee, but he had clearly stolen the wine and got caught. Never heard (or cared) about his outcome.

Or there was the time I spent $$$ for door-door cold shipment of a case of wine via FedEx. They shipped it that way to Orlando, where it sat overnight in 90 degree weather in a warehouse, then spent all day in a blazing hot truck before being delivered to me. The driver said I should refuse the shipment, and I did. Never did get that wine, and FedEx, I'm sure, coughed up a nice insurance claim on that (or partied with the wine). Again I'll never know.

So I used to use them all the time. Now, UPS whenever I can.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

UPDATE! My package from NJ was in Kernersville last night. Today it's in Greensboro, a distance of about 15 miles. But if it were going to be delivered today, it would have been at FedUp's distribution center in Durham this morning. Tracking still shows delivery today by 2:30 PM. Ain't going to happen, as Greensboro is an hour and a half away.

What does that old bumper sticker say? Sh!t happens...

As I understand it and certainly for the cheaper shipping speeds, carriers don't scan each package at every step. It is assumed to be on the correct truck, which works most of the time.

Once a package falls outside of that assumption, the tracking system can be erratic.

I'm sure if they charged $200 per package, they could give you minute to minute tracking...