Thread: Try Square Reminder

Try Square Reminder

How many were first taught in shop class that the “proper” way to use a try square is on the inside face/edge (stock and blade) only? Reminding myself of this after so many years, I measured the blade for parallel and found there was a considerable taper. I re-checked the inside faces for square and discovered why corners were never perpendicular using the outside blade edge.

Blog Entries
    I re-checked the inside faces for square and discovered why corners were never perpendicular using the outside blade edge.
    A good reminder Fritz.

My try squares are usually checked for square all around. A "tapered" blade can usually be corrected with careful use of a fine toothed file.

Maybe the idea of not using the outside edges as a check is why some try squares have rounded backs on the wooden stock.

One of my current projects is making a small try square. The hardest part may be finding some very small flathead screws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)