Thread: Maximum trunk line size for Harbor Freight dust collector

Maximum trunk line size for Harbor Freight dust collector

So I have been in need of more shop space for a while and finally decided to move some equipment into an unused office space in the front of my shop. The way my shop is shaped would make it impractical to run a line from my main 10hp dust collector. I have a Harbor Freight 2HP unit that I bought several years ago in a pinch before I got my larger dust collector. Since that dust collector is not being used I figure it would be good to use in my 23ft x 21ft office. I have an upcut saw on one 23ft wall and my miter saw station on the other. Work bench in one of the shorter walls and sanding table in the center. Line borer and pocket hole machine on the other shorter wall. My plan is to put the dust collector next to my work bench and pipe it up to the ceiling then run a Wye with a trunk line going to both side walls. My question is would it be ok to use 6” trunk lines for this?

In my opinion, you are asking too much. The velocity in the ducts will likely be too low to get the chips and dust moving. The sanding table needs more flow than you will get and given that it produces fine dust not a good idea.

I believe you'll find that 5" duct may be a a better fit for that particular blower...but of course, I could be wrong about that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Loose rule of thumb: trunk should be sized same as inlet on DC. Don't count any reduced splitter wye's - just the actual opening on the blower's metal inlet.

My 1 1/2 hp delta blower works well enough with 5in duct. Its at the limit though and the 2hp harbor freight is probably really about the same.

Without an impeller upgrade , I'd say 5" .

The last I heard the HF blower was about 10 1/4" diameter. That would be on the small side for 6" pipe IMO. I have a "2 h.p." single stage D.C. and it works okay with 6" pipe. It also has a 12" impeller. My understanding is that it's impeller size and efficiency that determines performance, not h.p. A 10 h.p. motor turning a 10" impeller is still not going to move much air. Of course a large impeller/small motor is not likely to have a long happy life.

The Harbor Freight motor is a less than stellar option , and w/ a bigger impeller could fail prematurely . Who can say ?

I agree with the other guys. I have that dust collector, and have 5” mains.

Only 5" PVC source I know is electrical conduit. Of course sweeping bends are easy to find in conduit.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Only 5" PVC source I know is electrical conduit. Of course sweeping bends are easy to find in conduit.
    Bill D
    I never thought about PVC conduit, I thought you'd need to be a tin knocker to install 5 inch line. Having sweeps available are a plus. I did two 6" 45* elbows with a short straight piece in between, sweeps would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    5" is readily available in all formats of metal ductwork I believe the OP is also a business so that comes into play when it comes to DC installation because of regulations.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...