Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying advice, used Delta Rockwell jointer

Buying advice, used Delta Rockwell jointer

Hi everyone,

After my motor went out on my 6 inch 1980's import jointer, I took it as a sign to upgrade. I came across a 8 inch Delta Rockwell jointer (with a peace sign logo) for sale ~1 hr from me. I've heard that the peace sign logo indicated an era for Delta Rockwell where quality dropped a bit. However, the machine is listed at $450, for an 8 inch jointer, which seems pretty decent, even with surface rust it has going on.

I'd love to hear general thoughts on Delta Rockwell jointers with the peace sign logo + If I'm correct in my assessment that $450 is a pretty decent price. It does appear to be coming from a ship building shop, so it may have seen some pretty decent use. Anything specific I should look out for? See the link below:

'https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls/7523548210.html

Best,
    John
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-22-2022 at 8:27 AM. Reason: link no longer exists

Most important thing to check for, can it make a flat surface? Assuming the knives are reasonably sharp, run a pair of 3' long flat boards on edge at the front and back of the tables. If you can get a tight joint all is well. If not, try adjusting the outfeed height. Otherwise, take the longest, most accurate straightedge you have available and a set of feeler gauges and check the tables for flatness along their length, across their width and across their diagonals, and check that the infeed and outfeed are parallel (as some would say, coplanar). Bear in mind that a machine with dovetail ways like this is not easy (though not impossible) to align if the tables are not parallel, although sometimes droop can be corrected by adjusting the gib screws.

Check for broken or cracked castings, and make sure the fence is flat and can be set to 90* and will stay there. Make sure the switch and motor work, the guard works smoothly and check the drive belt for cracks. If the machine checks out $450 seems like a good price. You may need to knock down any surface rust with scotchbrite , solvent and wax to assess the tables' condition. I wouldn't be put off by the peace sign.

Seems like a pretty good deal. I don't see many used 8" pop up around me, and when they do, they're in the $7-800 range for older machines that need cleanup. Plus, they're pretty simple machines. As long as the tables and fence is flat (and nothing is cracked) not much you can't fix up on it. You could throw in a Shellix head with new bearings and still be under a grand.

Try to crank the infeed table up and down. It may be gummed up or rusted shut. look at the table ends near the cutter head for any damage. At that age it may need bearings, cheap and easy.
    At that price if things move and are not rusted shut I would buy it. Does it have the guard? Try not to lift it by the table ends.
    Bill D

Buy it. I looked at the picture. For the bay area that is not rusty. I moved mine by unbolting the base, three bolts. machine upside down on a blanket without guard. base next to it in a truck bed. two guys lifted it in. I got it out by myself no problem. i am in process of lifting it onto a mobile base. I loosened it from the base. and slipped in two load straps. will lift with a engine crane.
    I see a weight of 350 pounds being mentioned. Seems reasonable.
    Grizzly version will cost three times as much, plus shipping, plus tax. That motor and switchgear will probably outlive a new grizzly motor.
    Grizzly freight for that machine is $300. So all in a grizzly version is about four times the cost. Rent a pickup from Uhaul for about $50
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-21-2022 at 2:14 PM.

As with any used tool, especially one like a jointer on which you must depend upon getting a perfectly straight edge, you should test it out. Bring some wood and a straight edge, run at least several pieces over the jointer at different settings. If it results in a straight edge using your straight edge, then it probably is a good deal. I have rarely bought used tools, especially large ones like a jointer, because I don't wish to spend my time reconditioning the tool. I'd rather spend my time using it to make something.

That's the same 8" jointer I've used for 47 years. If nothing is broken, I'd buy it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would run and snap that thing up now. I owned one just like it before i bought my 16'' machine. Great jointer. price is too good to stand around talking about it, get over there .

A great deal in Sausalito, buy it before all the millionaires bid it up. Zilliow says average house price is 1,798,014
    Bill D

Thanks for all the comments. The jointer had been picked up and is in the back of the truck!

It looks and sounds great. Looking forward to putting it to use.

I would loosen the motor and slip off the belt. See if both sets of bearings sound and feel good. A link belt from Harbor Fright is easy enough to install. I do not see any real difference from 400 grit sandpaper up to 2,000 for cast iron.
    Bill D

My 1960's rockwell gray was 2 parts gray 1 part blue. I would use Dupont chain saver spray lube on the gibs and screws. If you use carburetor cleaner the paint will bubble and wash off. It is a major job to remove the tables, not worth it. Just flush the gibs and screws with wd40 or similar mild solvent if needed. let dry then flood with the dupont stuff. It goes on wet like wd40 then dries leaving a thin wax behind. It says it is self cleaning?
    BillD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-21-2022 at 10:37 PM.

That is a great price if its in any kind of decent condition. Good luck.
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Glad to hear you got it. Randy check out the picture, it is a real good looking machine.

Remember that it takes 3/32" thick knives, and not 1/8" when you order some. 1/8" won't let you get a wrench in to tighten the gib screws.