Thread: Bushing for Thompson handles

Bushing for Thompson handles

Looking to find bushings for my Thompson 5/8 nose handles. Like to get to 1/2 and 3/8. Trying to get something off the shelf, avoid machining. Any help appreciated.

I wonder if D-Way bushings would fit? I have a couple, but don’t have a Thompson handle to try them in. I can mail you one to try if you want.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I wonder if D-Way bushings would fit? ...
    I was wondering that too, but from the "fine print" it sounds like not. E.g. D-Way says their nominal 1/2" shafts are 0.515" where as Thompson says their 1/2" shafts are turned down to an actual 0.500".

Bill, you don't show a location. Where are you? There may be someone close with bits & pieces you could experiment with.

Have you asked Doug Thompson?

Trent Bosch sells 5/8" to 1/2" inserts and may know if they would work in the Thompson handle.
    https://trentboschtools.com/product/...sert-58-to-12/

Oneway has a 5/8" to 3/8" but I don't know if that will fit.
    https://oneway.ca/products-category/...Handle-Adaptor
    RD

With such a weird number like 0.515", I'd be tempted to either chuck up the tool and file 0.0075"/0.015 inches off of it. Either that or drill or bore out the insert to accommodate 0.515". Home Despot has 33/64 drill bits listed on line for under $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Have you asked Doug Thompson?
    I thought he told me the handles were just made with different sized holes but I'm not certain. I have one for a 1/2" tool shaft and another for 3/8".

My turning stuff has been stored since I lost access to a wood lathe when our makerspace closed down. I dug it out because I have a D-Way 1/2" to 3/8" bushing, a Thompson 1/2" handle, and as it turns out a The Woodturning Store Hurricane brand bushing.

SMC_Bushing_1.jpg

Shows the D-Way Bushing in a Thompson handle with a Thompson gouge. Not a smooth transition and slightly loose and wobbly. I think there are other problems shown when I put those parts next to each other:

SMC_Bushing_2.jpg

This shows, from bottom up, the D-Way bushing with the Thompson gouge, the Thompson Handle, and the Hurricane bushing. There are a couple things to notice. First none of the grub screw holes line up, this is a show stopper without making modifications. Also, I shoved the Thompson gouge further into the D-Way bushing to show it goes well past the shoulder Thompson adds on his tools. This illustrates the larger actual diameter of the D-Way system.

BTW- my earlier comment seemed to cause a little confusion:

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    ... E.g. D-Way says their nominal 1/2" shafts are 0.515" where as Thompson says their 1/2" shafts are turned down to an actual 0.500". ...
    Doug Thompson's FAQ, under "Shanks and Tangs", says:

"Why is the shank on all bowl and spindle gouges are turned down to a common fractional size? This is because high quality tool steel is sold .015 oversize so the shank needs to be turned down to a common size to fit all the aftermarket handles and so a common drill bit can be used to bore a wood handle."

D-Way seems to make their handles slightly over the nominal size to match the extra stock diameter.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 08-21-2022 at 2:09 AM. Reason: (typo), (wording)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dempsey View Post
    Looking to find bushings for my Thompson 5/8 nose handles. Like to get to 1/2 and 3/8. Trying to get something off the shelf, avoid machining. Any help appreciated.
    How bad do you want these bushings? (I mean, Doug Thompson's handles are really nice, except when it's cold, and not that expensive once you start adding time & effort to the materials.)

If you're determined, it seems, with care, you could probably make what you want yourself. E.g. McMaster-Carr has steel tubing you could start with:

od 5/8" x id ~1/2"

and:

od 5/8" x id ~3/8"

seems like a hacksaw, drill, and some files and a *LOT* of care you could line up the grub screw holes and get something that would do the job.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 08-21-2022 at 2:11 AM. Reason: (wording)

Well, that settles the issue of whether the D-Way bushing will work. This may be a bit off topic, but I will add that I have both Thompson and D-Way tools and love both, but I have all D-Way handles, which I find much more comfortable - for whatever that may be worth. As I indicated - not really relevant to the OP’s question. The Thompson tools fit the D-Way handles with the exception of the 1/4” Thompson tools, which are a hair too large. I lightly ground a bit off the shafts to achieve a fit.

Left click my name for homepage link.

What about Jimmy Clewes adapters? I'll have a look in a bit when I go out to the shop.

Make your own on the woiod lathe

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    What about Jimmy Clewes adapters? I'll have a look in a bit when I go out to the shop.
    Two things I like about the Thompson handles. First, they are drilled 1/32 over to accommodate the extra diameter Doug described. Second, the hole inside is deep allowing sinking the tool shaft quite a bit to control the amount extending from the front. Besides letting you keep the same extension when the tool is shortened by sharpening, I find a shorter extension allows better fine tool control (for those who have learned tool control), especially for spindles and detailed things. Hogging out big bowls, I don't know. I've tried and dislike those tool adapters that grip just the very end of the shaft, extending the full length of the tool into the air. For me, this is a big disadvantage.

I've mentioned this before, but again: For me it is easier to make my own inserts and turn a wooden handle to hold it. I've made many of these, for example:

inserts_IMG_7933.jpg handle_inserts.jpg finished_small.jpg Handle_roughing_IMG_5964.jpg textured_handles_hunterIMG_.jpg

I admit I make the larger inserts and those from steel on my metal-turning lathe. However, it is not difficult to turn them on the wood lathe with woodturning tools. I did a demo on this last week and have another next month.

handle_adpater_wood_lathe.jpg

The 6061 aluminum rod is available and inexpensive from Online Metals. https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/...ruded/pid/1087
    I use 3/4" rod for 3/8" inserts (larger for larger tool shafts) and epoxy 5/8" diameter into the handle.

handle_cross_section_text2.jpg

The tools needed are a chuck with appropriate jaws, a few HSS woodturning tools (bowl or spindle gouge, parting tool, maybe NRS, drill bits, tap for set screws).
    It does take a bit of time but you get exactly what you want and at a low price.

JKJ

Wow, thanks for taking the time, everyone. I plan to call Doug (alt, Trent Bosch) tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I thought he told me the handles were just made with different sized holes but I'm not certain. I have one for a 1/2" tool shaft and another for 3/8".
    As far as I know Doug does not offer bushings. I was thinking that Doug might know of a source that fits his handles. On the other hand I suppose it might be considered poor form to ask a manufacturer how to avoid buying his product!

If you want to make your handles but don't want to turn the ferrules, Oneway makes nice ones A little pricey but they are well made and the handle can be whatever shape you want. https://www.packardwoodworks.com/tools-hand-thrfer.html

John, how are you drilling the deep holes in the handles? Are you using a gun drill? I might try just plowing a stopped dado in the handle halves that can be glued together and turned.
    Last edited by Richard Dooling; 08-21-2022 at 3:48 PM.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    As far as I know Doug does not offer bushings. I was thinking that Doug might know of a source that fits his handles. On the other hand I suppose it might be considered poor form to ask a manufacturer how to avoid buying his product!

If you want to make your handles but don't want to turn the ferrules, Oneway makes nice ones A little pricey but they are well made and the handle can be whatever shape you want. https://www.packardwoodworks.com/tools-hand-thrfer.html

John, how are you drilling the deep holes in the handles? Are you using a gun drill? I might try just plowing a stopped dado in the handle halves that can be glued together and turned.
    The dado in halves would be easy.

Years ago I bought a set of long drill bits, I didn't measure but they are at least a foot long. I use them to drill through fence posts, large beams, etc. I usually drill to the extent of a shorter drill bit then use the long bits. I drill the deep holes before I glue in the insert. If I have the right size, the taper shank bits are a little longer than the jobbers bits. If all I have is a shorter bit, drilling as deep as it will go is better than nothing. I don't have a gun drill but I'd like to.

JKJ