Thread: Pergola Lumber Question

Pergola Lumber Question

I'm going to build a pergola and need some 20' 2x8's. Menards apparently does not stock these in the store but offers free shipping to the store. Another alternative would be to get 12' long boards and join them with a 1/2 lap joint in the middle (or if there are better ways to join them I'm all ears). Would this be as strong as one long board? My design only have corner posts and no center posts.

Thanks
    Mike

I'd order the 20's.

I'd be interested in the engineering answer to this. If I was going to consider it, I'd probably do pegged half lap vs. scarf joints. But if I had the option to just order the longer lumber, that's probably the way I'd go.

Blog Entries
    What sort of load will be on these 20' boards?

What is the cost of 2 x 8 x 20 shipped in for free versus the cost of doubled up 12 footers?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-19-2022 at 3:43 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A 20' 2x8 will almost sag under it's own weight. 2x8s with a half lap and no post will carry little load as well. You're going to have to give up more info. Single or double 2x8? Roof?

snowload? Might as well angle the roof and make it a solar collector
    Bill D

Yeah - if I get the 20' I will also need to pay $100+ for their delivery. I was just looking at the pergola kits at HD and their long beams have three half lap joints. If I do two at the ends like they did on the short sides I can actually use a 12' and an two 4' from 8' board. Much easier for me to haul.

We built a pergola using the Simpson Outdoor Accents connectors and seemed spendy initially but were well worth it in the end. I'm a DIYer not in the construstion trades and this was a first time build for me. The connectors solved all the engineering issues and look great as well. It is 22' x 12' and we joined the long beams with 1/8" x 6" flat bar stock I cut to mimic the profile
    of the other connectors. Can send pics if needed.