Thread: Repaint Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Repaint Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Guess I'm outdated on using Oil-based paint for spraying kitchen cabinets. Basically, I cannot find any Oil-based paint locally. I sprayed these cabinets a few years ago with SW Pro Class cabinet and trim oil. I wanted to do a light sanding and repaint with the same product. There are 6 SW stores local, none have the product. I am a little uncomfortable spraying any water-based paint over the original oil finish. SW says their "hybrid" paint Emerald product will be ok, Ben Moore says their Advance product will be ok over an oil finish if sanded properly.
    Anybody have experience with using Emerald or Advance over an oil base finish?

No experience but I would think either product would bond fine over a properly cleaned and scuffed OB paint, since both are oil modified products. Of the two, Emerald Urethane Trim paint dries and cures a lot faster than Advance, but both are very durable once they finally do. But you should be used to that with the OB paints you've used in the past. No hard use for at least a month, two or three would be even better.

John

What John said.

I'm about to spray the Emerald Urethane on my "scrap vanity" project and have used Advance in the past during one of the iterations of the kitchen uppers in our old property. Advance is an emulsified alkyd finish in a water carrier...no question in my mind that it will adhere fine to previous oil based finish with proper prep. Honestly, the same is true with most high quality waterborne finishes...they can adhere fine to a previous oil based finish with proper prep, which includes abrasion/degreading and maybe deglossing, although in worst cases, a high-adhesion primer can be applied first. I applied a whole bunch of ProClassic (waterborne) to glossy oil based trim work in our old home after using SW's high adhesion primer with no issues.

As should not be surprising...prep is the single most important part of the finishing process, especially for refinishing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim and John, thanks for the input on this. I'll probably just stay with SW and try their Emerald Urethane product. As Jim said, proper prep will be the key.