Thread: Another Starlink install

Another Starlink install

A friend received his kit last week and I offered to help install it. He was worried about the snow depth on the roof so I welded up this 4’ mast out of sch 40 2” pipe and some 1/4” plate. SL offer a pipe adapter as shown. It can accommodate up to 2” but smaller also. Once we confirmed alignment of the adapter we drilled and tapped the mast so the set screws are into the mast and it cannot wave around. Very solid mount this way and his reception went from 3-145 mbps so he is happy.
    Mine has been working out well too, but I had difficulty with getting my Sonos onto he new network. As previously noted, I am exceedingly dim in these matters so to simplify the connection to my “wi-fi” speakers I bought the SL Ethernet adapter which proved not to be necessary with the better techs on line help. About the only accessory I have not purchased is the Mesh router which I may still get as I try to get service out to the shop. I love my Core 10 siding on the shop but it is a very effective barrier to signals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Would an outdoor wifi antenna work for you? Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-CPE21...s%2C84&sr=8-14

I have no idea if that device is better or worse than other similar devices. It does use PoE so no AC power required.

How did you fasten the pipe mast to the house?

SS 3/8” bolts thru the 1/4” plate, rafters and an 1/8” backing plate. I showed my daughter the photos and she said, “What about lightening protection? Is it grounded? You realize it is on Lightning Tree Rd…” I kinda look at these things like a 1iron where Lee Trevino said that in a lightning storm while on the golf course you should simply hold the 1 iron over you or head and walk down the middle of the fairway, because not even god can hit a 1 iron. We are looking into a solutioin.

Of course he can hit a putter, as in Caddyshack.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Did you bring up the starlink app to see if those trees are an issue? I have one that's just barely in range but I don't think it causes too much of an issue. I had two mounts left over from Dish Network dishes on my roof so I used one of them and adapter the different sized pipes (since the adapter Starlink sells was out of stock).

Dish network said they don't ground dishes because it could attract lightning while my Hugesnet dis was grounded. I'm not sure if it matters as a couple feet of pipe isn't going to make much of a difference to lightning. I like to think it'll most likely hit a tree near by that's taller than my house. I have had more than one tree hit by lightning but up in the woods behind my house. They weren't the tallest tress so it seems to just be random what it'll hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Did you bring up the starlink app to see if those trees are an issue? I have one that's just barely in range but I don't think it causes too much of an issue. I had two mounts left over from Dish Network dishes on my roof so I used one of them and adapter the different sized pipes (since the adapter Starlink sells was out of stock).

Dish network said they don't ground dishes because it could attract lightning while my Hugesnet dis was grounded. I'm not sure if it matters as a couple feet of pipe isn't going to make much of a difference to lightning. I like to think it'll most likely hit a tree near by that's taller than my house. I have had more than one tree hit by lightning but up in the woods behind my house. They weren't the tallest tress so it seems to just be random what it'll hit.
    Where I live the coaxial cable shield must be connected to ground where it enters the house, part of the Canadian Electrical Code Part 2…..Regards, Rod

Alex, I was all over the property with the app and thought my best bet was going to be on the shop. As a last ditch to avoid that I found a spot on the house roof with the app that said it would be “ok”. I did not want to poke holes in the roof and a short distance from it was the old DT Dish, I decided to go with the removal of the dish and use the mount adapting as you did. Once the SL stopped spinning it was looking right into the edge of the canopy of a 4’ dia BW. The friend whose system we just put up has a Barnel pole saw which he brought by when he saw I was going to use mine. The difference between my pole saw and the Barnel is just incredible. It will go out to 16+’ and I was able to cut back the fringes obstructing the dish. Pole saws can be frustrating tools. If you need one, buy the Barnel. On occasion my system reported partial obstruction. Off the roof and ladder I was able to take care of the issue. Yesterday we moved the SL modem/router around the house. I found a spot where I get full signal to the shop which is about 100’away, so today it is the crawl under the house to get over to that spot.
    Rod, I believe we have the same thing, but I am not sure how it is accomplished.
    Alan, you win the “rest of the news” award today.

Once you have Starlink up and running you can use the app to see if there's any obstructions. Your phone will need to have the WiFi on and connected to the Starlink router. Open the starlink app and if you are on the setup page in the upper left corner is a home symbol. Click on it and you get to the main page for the router. Click the visibility button it'll show a globe like compass that will tell you if the antenna has been obstructed. There's other useful information like a speed test, how many people are connected to the router, etc.

I watched a youtube video about Starlink's antenna. I don't really understand the electrical engineering behind it but it seemed impressive. Satellite gadgets that I'm familiar with are receive only so satellite internet requires a ground link to transmit. Starlink can transmit directly to satellites.