Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Version of Christian Becksvoort's Dovetail Bench

My Version of Christian Becksvoort's Dovetail Bench

Ever since I saw Christian Becksvoort’s auxiliary bench (2018 FWW Tools and Shops) I thought it might be a nice edition for my shop. This past month, I found the time to take this project on.

[IMG][/IMG]

The bench is built around a Lie Nielsen 18” Dovetailing Vise (which I have had in my shop for a few years). It involved creating a platform behind the rear jaw of the LN vise. First time I tried condor tails: they do make a statement. I made these following the excellent directions of William Ng. Here is a link to this technique:

http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/201...dor-tails.html

I ended up making the height 9-3/4”. I figured this out by creating.a platform out of construction lumber and dialing in the height. I would suggest that a mock-up such as this should be your first step in this project.

Made from hard maple scraps I had laying around from previous projects. I suppose just about any species would do: its a shop appliance after all. Cull through your scrap pile: I am sure you can come up with the necessary stock.

I did have some trepidation “modifying” that beautiful LN vise, but now that the project is completed, I am glad that I took the plunge. You can save some $$ by buying the LN vise hardware instead of purchasing the vise with the jaws. I have this vise on my joiners bench and although it is doable, it will add a significant degree of complexity to the project.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 08-18-2022 at 9:40 AM.

That is quite the bench on your bench, Phil. Do you have a crane to move that off the bench? Curious how much it weighs.
    Nice work on building it, those big tails do look nice.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Phil, you have done a beautiful job of the build. Superb joinery!

My concern is with the table design, itself - which was initiated by Benchcrafted - is what occurs when transferring tails to pins? Sawing should be a breeze, as the work piece looks like it will be held securely. But transferring to the pin board lowers the work to chop level, and if you use it there, you will cut up the chop in no time at all. This is why I built a spacer into my Moxon. Do you have a plan here (to lift up the work piece) for your vise?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-18-2022 at 11:00 AM.

So the choice appears to be either get a bit of a stiff back (if that) by dovetailing in your vice, or a hernia moving the auxiliary bench around the shop.

That thing looks ridiculously overbuilt - the Becksvoort dovetailing bench.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking top bench.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Beautifully done. I bet it would make a great portable bench as well.

...And how long did it take you to clean the shop before you took pictures

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

That's almost too nice! What a great job.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

It may look heavy, but it is no more heavy than the 30 pack of Pabst I just carried into the house (when I can't carry a 30 pack of beer into the house I have much bigger concerns than the weight of this bench)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    That is quite the bench on your bench, Phil. Do you have a crane to move that off the bench? Curious how much it weighs.
    Nice work on building it, those big tails do look nice.
    Jim

Thanks! I just grab a scrap to elevate the piece to a comfortable work height.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Phil, you have done a beautiful job of the build. Superb joinery!

My concern is with the table design, itself - which was initiated by Benchcrafted - is what occurs when transferring tails to pins? Sawing should be a breeze, as the work piece looks like it will be held securely. But transferring to the pin board lowers the work to chop level, and if you use it there, you will cut up the chop in no time at all. This is why I built a spacer into my Moxon. Do you have a plan here (to lift up the work piece) for your vise?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Again, not as heavy as you might think. It is indeed stout. You would not want to drop it on your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    So the choice appears to be either get a bit of a stiff back (if that) by dovetailing in your vice, or a hernia moving the auxiliary bench around the shop.

That thing looks ridiculously overbuilt - the Becksvoort dovetailing bench.

Thank-you Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Nice looking top bench.

jtk

Thanks much! Yes indeed it would make a great portable bench, but my purpose in building it was strictly to make dovetailing easier.
    Ha! You noticed the clean shop. About 15 minutes to do a full sweep and vacuum. It has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Beautifully done. I bet it would make a great portable bench as well.

...And how long did it take you to clean the shop before you took pictures

Best,
    Chris

Thank-you sir, you are too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    That's almost too nice! What a great job.

Looks like I need to stop by to check it out! What’s that new buffer or grinder next to the tormek? Hope all is well, great seeing about beautiful project by you!

Kevin

Addendum: in response to those who were wondering what this beast weighs: 45 lbs. For those of us that are familiar with carrying 50 lb. bags of salt/fertilizer/sand/cement/etc. around the yard on occasion, this puts the weight into perspective. Not really all that bad to lift up to and off of the bench on occasion. We shall see.