Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drilling holes in Red Oak Stair Rail

As a couple of others said - spade bit. I've done it a couple of times and the long-pointed ones work at pretty extreme angles. I had an odd size hole to drill, too, and took a larger spade bit and ground the sides down to get the size needed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    My first thought was “50°?!” They must be tiring stairs to climb.
    You are correct. I re-measured, and got 43 degrees (these are basement stairs, tight space).

I would get a drill bushing and a brad point bit to bore the hole. The brad point bit is a little expensive in that size. So you could also use a smaller bore drill bushing and brad point bit. 1/2" is readily available and would create a flat that you could then start the 11/16" into. Just another way to approach it. Even with only 20 holes the drill is going to wear into the side of the wood in your guide.

https://www.mcmaster.com/Drill-Bushi...it-size~11-16/

https://www.mcmaster.com/brad-point-drill-bits/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I built a jig for this, once, and it was not difficult at all.... Just a block of wood with a hole drilled through (at the drill press) and some "flanges" to clamp. I think you've got something weird going on. Is your jig really tight and well-clamped? Bit new and sharp?
    Dan I like your simple jig. I think it would not work with a spade bit but should work well as you show it or with a forester bit. I might add a clamp or two across the handrail. And I might make two or three bore holes in case the first one started to wear. And wax would help.

You can search this topic on the Lost Art Press blog. Chris has written about bits for drilling holes at arbitrary angles used in his chair making. IIRC- old spade bits work well, but newer ones have all sorts of issues. it seems like he's now settled on one of the WoodOwl auger bits, but double check as they have several models.