Thread: Lion Miter Trimmer Question

Lion Miter Trimmer Question

I finally got one that looks to be in good shape at a price I could afford! I just need to clean up some minor surface rust and clean and lube the moving parts. I'm curious what the original paint color was on these. The pictures I've found on the internet appear to be either a light grey or rust. I'm not really concerned with keeping it 100% original, but would maybe like it to be close.

Thanks, John

I believe they were gray.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have two one is grey and the other is rust.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Started to disassemble it so I can clean up the dirt, grime and a little rust. I noticed this has a Patent date of 1900 and lacks the 45 degree stops that the ones I've found on the internet have with later patent dates cast in the wings, which I found serve to cover the blades when they are moved off center! I do need to buy or make a handle, but I think I have a tool that, while only used occasionally, will earn its keep easily, especially since so far, including shipping and the spray paint, I'll have less than $125.00 invested.

John

Might anyone have a picture of an assembled trimmer. I purchased one and it was shipped unassembled and I’m not sure where the piece of spring metal goes. It came in great condition beautifully sharpened. Just need to replace the springs and it’s ready to go once I put it together.

Finally got around to finishing cleaning it up, honed the blades, put it back together. The paint I found on it was black. I think I read somewhere that was pretty standard for tools before WW2, then companies began using greys, greens and everything in the rainbow. Anyway, I already had a can of Krylon black paint, and it matches the black on my Stanley 2358A Miter Box. I don't do a lot of miter work, but I've wanted one of these trimmers. Someday my wife can have a great auction!

John