Thread: Powermatic 8” jointer 60b vs 60c

Powermatic 8” jointer 60b vs 60c

Question for the group. I have located a used Powermatic 60b jointer ($1,500) and was wondering what the difference is between the 60b and 60c models? I have done searches and been unable to find a way to compare the two jointers. Also, does the price seem reasonable for a 60b in good shape?

Thanks
    Doug

I don't know the ans to the B/C question but I paid $800 for my used Powermatic Jointer about 6 years ago. It was in excellent condition and still is. Great jointer, for me anyway. Use it all the time, including today. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

quick looks shows the C model table length is double the B model. C is also double the horsepower. Look like the fence and center portion with the cutter head is the same. I bet switch location has changed over the years. 60B is not in their current catalog
    Bill D

B 72" tables
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-18-2022 at 1:06 AM.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    quick looks shows the C model table length is double the B model. C is also double the horsepower. Look like the fence and center portion with the cutter head is the same. I bet switch location has changed over the years. 60B is not in their current catalog
    Bill D

B 72" tables
    If the 'C' model is "double" the length of the 'B', and the 'B' is 72", the 'C' is twelve feet long? Or is the 'C' half the length, making the bed three feet? Neither would seem correct.....

More likely the letter prefix refers to whether it came with a base or not, possibly a reference to an extended bed length of 72", which would be long for an eight inch jointer
    Last edited by Mark Wooden; 08-18-2022 at 9:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    If the 'C' model is "double" the length of the 'B', and the 'B' is 72", the 'C' is twelve feet long? Or is the 'C' half the length, making the bed three feet? Neither would seem correct.....
    I was going by the pictures. The first pictures I saw of of the B model the tables were barely longer then the fence. Maybe a trick of the camera angle.

Turns out fine woodworking clipped the photo and symmetrically cut off both ends of the table so it fit in the space allotted. Making it look like about a 3 foot bed length. The right hand bed ended just above the end of the adjustment lever.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-18-2022 at 1:46 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Thanks for the info. Going to go look at it Saturday and hopefully it will be as nice as the pics.

Probably a subtle difference, like a blade guard change.

Just a guess but maybe the B and C could just mean what company made it. I think (but could be wrong) the A was the US made one and the C is made in Taiwan by Harvey. I know Powermatic started having tools made in Taiwan long before Harvey was born.

You may be onto something. Thanks