Thread: Drum sander dust collection connection? PICS

Drum sander dust collection connection? PICS

Any ideas on a good way to connect a dust collection system to a Powermatic dual drum sander? I was thinking of using a true wye and a couple of 45 deg. elbows but the separation between the 2-4" exhaust ports is only 11" on center. I'll be connecting it to an overhead 6" spiral duct and 6" blastgate. Pics below of the drum sander ports.
    blastgate 001.jpg

Drum Sander Dust Collection

Here's a picture of how I did it. Could probably make the flex duct shorter. However, as you suggested, a true wye was used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Build a small plenum. 2 factory 4" ports in the bottom, 1 6" port in the top.

IMG_20220818_204024_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

Here is what PM used on their 18" planer. I would make similar in wood or sheet metal. It is a 6" duct. I can measure if needed.
    I do not know the construction but I would plug most of the ducts and cut a 18" x 1 inch slit in their place with a tapered hood.
    Bill D.

edit:
    6" round duct area=28.27 Inches square

28.2/18 = 1.57

So make that slit 18"x 1.57 inches wide
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-19-2022 at 11:39 PM.

I decided to go with a design similar to member Dufour's made out of sheet metal and having an inside rectangular dimension of about 14"x4.5". That will enclose the 2-4" ports on the drum sander. The outlet will connect to a 6" round with a blastgate. Hopefully, that will get the job done.

Norfab can make you a 6" transition adapter that meets your needs. Just pick the "Style #1 Rectangle to Round transition". Base price for a 6" round is $120, but it can be higher depending on rectangle size.

https://www.ductingsystems.com/nordf...ansitions.html

This is my solution
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Let's think about air velocity. Say the sand paper speed is 2000 fpm, the dust is initially launched at that speed but it slows down and is redirected into your collection system. I don't know what it looks like under those round connections but if it's just a box with two holes in the top that's not optimal. But it is what it is. You want to use up your horsepower in redirecting the dust, not so much in carrying the dust so efficient ductwork is a priority. Each change in velocity or direction uses power. Those Wye's look pretty good but John's box will contain a lot of turbulence.

Here's a couple of pics of my almost complete installation. I chose to have the blastgate directly mounted to the machine instead of running flexible hose from the blastgate to the machine. This gives me the ability to move the machine and not have the vertical ductwork in the way.
    shop 001.jpgshop 002.jpg